View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Contact with the Net Outside the Antennas

Hello Forum,

Here's a play I had last night. The setter makes an overhead pass/set to an Outside Hitter, the set is tight to the net. The OH makes an approach, swings and her momentum takes her into the portion of the net that is to the left/outside of the antenna. I called a net violation on the girl and the speaking captain came up and told me that this was a legal play. I told her that I was not aware of this rule, she informed me that this is a correct procedure - that a girl can hit the net outside of the antenna or hit the cable as long as she is outside of the antenna. She told me that this occured at a club tournament and that it was applicable to Federation volleyball as well. I told the player that I was not informed of this change and I stuck with my call - but was I correct? I go back to Rule 9-6-7 article a which states that "...A net foul occurs while the ball is in play and a player contacts any part of the net including net cables or net antennas...". This was not a girl hitting the net with her hair - the front of her body went full into the net.

So, here are my questions for the forum...

1.) Did I miss a memo and get the call incorrect?
2.) Is this legal under club rules?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post - I am looking forward to the reply.

Dan Renninger
Coastal Mountain Officials Association/Northern california