The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2023, 10:25pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Camp season

So after years and years of attending basketball camps, I'll be attending my first volleyball camp in April. I'm headed to the PAVO camp in Sandusky, OH. Anybody else going to be there?

I wanted to go to the Lehigh, PA camp, but it sold out before I could pay my camp fee. Oh well.

Has anybody else had volleyball camp experience?
Old Wed Feb 08, 2023, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
So after years and years of attending basketball camps, I'll be attending my first volleyball camp in April. I'm headed to the PAVO camp in Sandusky, OH. Anybody else going to be there?

I wanted to go to the Lehigh, PA camp, but it sold out before I could pay my camp fee. Oh well.

Has anybody else had volleyball camp experience?
I've been to multiple camps, as a camper and as a trainer. It's a great experience overall; you get to learn from people who have been through the ranks, and you are (or at least, in the past, have been) recorded with comments over the video, so you can see exactly what is being discussed.

You'll probably get at least 3-4 matches in both positions (all three, if they have you keep score as well). I *highly* recommend these camps. I can think of one referee who was an unknown nationally, who attended a camp and was then added to the Big Ten roster shortly afterward.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Fri Feb 10, 2023, 01:58pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
I *highly* recommend these camps. I can think of one referee who was an unknown nationally, who attended a camp and was then added to the Big Ten roster shortly afterward.
This is EXACTLY what I expect to happen, Felix! Big Ten next season!! (Tongue firmly planted in cheek.) I would love to make a D1 roster in the next 2 years, but it for sure will not be one of the "big 5" conferences.

Interestingly, I spoke with a VERY good National official a few nights ago. He said that we have so many good chances to be observed by very good officials (and assignors) here in the Northeast region, that I probably don't need to spend money to go out-of-region to get excellent feedback.

I'm going anyway, and I'm looking forward to experience my first real camp. But maybe I'll hold off on any other far-off camps until I think I'm ready to be in front of big-time assignors.