The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 04, 2022, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

HS Player Number 0

Varsity match tonight. Between subvarsity and varsity matches the R1 was talking to the scorers table regarding numbering on uniforms. He stated that 0 is an illegal number. Low and behold, the visiting team comes out with the libero wearing number 0. The scorers table, who had been told 15 minutes earlier, now tells me "she is wearing an illegal number, she can't be 0".

My understanding of the NFHS rule code is the number must be "no more than 2 digits (0-99)"

I basically have to tell the scorers table that he was mistaken and 0 is a legal number. He overhears this and continues to say it was an illegal number. His rationale is that "how do you signal a fault by number 0?". I said with a closed fist. His arguement is that means 10.

Funny, he did not say anything to the visiting coach about the number and allowed the libero to play the entire match wearing number 0.

I know I am right because as he was saying it to the table, I was looking it up in the rulebook.

My questions are however ;

1) Is there a restriction prohibiting "0" in other rules codes like NCAA or USAV?

2) Was the prohibition against "0" and "00" just a state of Michigan thing, or was this in the NFHS rulebook at some point (I don't see it in the rules now).
Old Wed Oct 05, 2022, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Zero is allowed n NCAA (don't know about USAV).

Double zero used to be allowed in HS, but was taken out several years ago.

And, isn't a zero indicated with the fingers touching the thumb to form an open circle (and not with a fist as shown above)?
Old Wed Oct 05, 2022, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Zero is allowed n NCAA (don't know about USAV).

Double zero used to be allowed in HS, but was taken out several years ago.

And, isn't a zero indicated with the fingers touching the thumb to form an open circle (and not with a fist as shown above)?
So, I was able to find an answer to my question regarding legality.

NFHS 0-99 (00 not allowed).

USAV 0 is not allowed (1-25 are allowed)

NCAA 0-99 are allowed however 0X are not permitted. (X being a number 1-9)

As for signallying with the thumb and index finger touching forming an 0. This is very offensive in some cultures, so we have been taught to absolutely not singal zero or three with three fingers extended, in that manner.

As for 00. Technically, if you read the rule, 00 is not prohibited in high school. The rule says a 2 digit number 0-99. 00 is two digits and meets the definition of the rule regarding numbers.

With that said, the person from the state association has indicated that #00 is illegal, which does make sense, even if the wording of the rule implies otherwise.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2022, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post

As for signallying with the thumb and index finger touching forming an 0. This is very offensive in some cultures, so we have been taught to absolutely not singal zero or three with three fingers extended, in that manner.
All the fingers are curled over in the same manner. Start by making a "c" with the entire hand and keep closing it until one or more of the fingers touch the thumb.

From the mechanics manual page 97 (2020-21 version): Use the appropriate hand to form an open "0"

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Oct 06, 2022 at 06:44am.