The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Folks,

First, I apologize for the long post. Here is an interesting question that I am pretty sure has happened to us at some point.

You call a personal foul on a player. In the time that it takes to go from the spot to the reporting area, you forget the number.

My question centers on what do you think causes this? Obviously, concentration comes into play. Also, I think the type of foul, where it occurs, etc. is a factor.

Finally, what is the best way to handle the situation? Ask your partner, sure. Maybe ask the scorer, sure. Ask the players, sure? Who knows...what do you think?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

What causes this is RUSHING through everything.
SLOW DOWN and have it all set in your head, announce number of fouler, notify partner if "shooting" or "possession," then go to table after you are sure of the color, number and signal.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 07:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Ernie
Folks,

Finally, what is the best way to handle the situation? Ask your partner, sure. Maybe ask the scorer, sure. Ask the players, sure? Who knows...what do you think?
That has never happened to me ... since the last time.

I'll go to partner, but not generally to the table. If you goof, the offended coach may say it was xx, not yy. The table may then call you over to bail you out.

I find it easier to remember if I immediately say "color xx" right after my fist goes up. I can usually retain the echo in my head for the 15 steps to the table.

mick

Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't ask the scorer or players. I've forgotten before, I've just turned around, and looked for the person. When you see the foul, don't only look at their number but also what they look like. If you forget just turn around and get the number again. If that doesn't work ask your partner.

Only problem with above method is if you have twins lol. Just pick one of em. lol.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

S-L-O-W down. I like to visualize a fraction. If #10 white fouls #24 red, I carry 10/24 in my head to the table. Forget about forgetting. It has happened to everyone.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Something that works for me that I was taught, is to make a fraction every time I call a foul with the person fouling in the numerator and the shooter or person fouled in the denominator. It has saved me quite a few times when there is a question or the table makes a mistake and all of a sudden the table is saying they were wrong and we are now shooting a bonus shot, etc. As I hit the whistle and pause for a fraction of a second I say in my mind the numbers, such as 10 over 14, a couple of times. It may not work for everyone but I really like it.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Only problem with above method is if you have twins lol. Just pick one of em. lol.
No laughing matter. I actually had twins in a game not too long ago. I think I accidentally gave one of 'em the other's foul...
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Had a D-2 College game this past Monday and the book called a partner over to the table durring a dead ball and asked what the # of the girl was 3 fouls ago. Lucky the book asked if it was on #4 or # 54. At 1st I thought we were in trouble but I was lucky enough to remember the play and knew it was on a taller player when my partner had a whistle so we were able to figure it out from there. Still a very odd question from the table.

[Edited by BOBBYMO on Jan 7th, 2004 at 09:48 PM]
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wouldn't ask the scorer or players. I've forgotten before, I've just turned around, and looked for the person. When you see the foul, don't only look at their number but also what they look like. If you forget just turn around and get the number again. If that doesn't work ask your partner.

Boys Varsity game two years ago: ALL players had same haircut (Short crewcut) and bleached blonde. That made for a challenging night of officiating.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Lots of good ideas.

nine01c: Great advice S-L-O-W down and COMMUNICATE. Let your partner know what you have before doing anything else.
The only thing different in my post is adding a little more to the communication part.

When I teach new officials the mechanics of the game I make them practice reporting fouls to me. I will not let them say anything to me until they have FIRST said what happened out loud to themselves, and SECONDLY told their partner who fouled (# and color), Who is shooting (# and color), or if no shots verbally state where ball will be inbounded. If ball is to be inbounded and switching means calling official will also handle the inbound, he must also tell his partner he will come back to administer the throwin. By the time they report to me they have already said it TWICE.

You would be surprised how many veteran officials I have worked with who balk at this kind of communication when I mention it in my pregame. If they object I tell them they will not get past me to report as I will intercept them on their way to the table. I have always been able to talk them into at least trying it my way and the result has alway been positive.

Does this mean I will never forget by the time I get to the table? No, but at least I know definately who can help me.

[Edited by Daryl H. Long on Jan 7th, 2004 at 11:13 PM]
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
No laughing matter. I actually had twins in a game not too long ago. I think I accidentally gave one of 'em the other's foul...
I know... I wasn't joking!
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Glad to know I'm not alone. It still makes me want to hide.

Barry
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Talking Reporting fouls

Quote:
Originally posted by cropduster
Glad to know I'm not alone. It still makes me want to hide.

Barry
I was the lead on a fast break the other night when I had this happen. I was focused on the play under the basket when I called the foul. I started to report it to the table when I realized that I didn't know if the basket was good. I called to my partner and asked him if the basket was good. He must have been looking at the blond in the third row, he never looked at me. I called to him again, still no look. I went over to him and he said the basket was good. I looked backed to the basket and realized that I lost the number of the player who had committed the foul. I continued to the table and reported the number of the individual who was at the spot of the foul. When the ball was put back in play, I looked at the faces of the players and saw a smirk on one of them and she was looking at another player. I stopped the game with an official's timeout and went over to the table to report the error. I reported the number of the girl that the girl with the smirk on her face was looking at. The foul was on 4-2, not 2-4. As I returned from the table, I told the girls it may take me a little while, but I will get it right. On the restart, both of the girls were nodding their heads in approval. I don't recommend ever using this type of mechanic (it only comes with experience) but thought you might find it entertaining.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
When I teach new officials the mechanics of the game I make them practice reporting fouls to me. I will not let them say anything to me until they have FIRST said what happened out loud to themselves, and SECONDLY told their partner who fouled (# and color), Who is shooting (# and color), or if no shots verbally state where ball will be inbounded. If ball is to be inbounded and switching means calling official will also handle the inbound, he must also tell his partner he will come back to administer the throwin.

Communication is indeed important, but this seems a little overboard to me. State the color and number of the fouler, and the number of the shooter. Anything beyond that is ok, I guess, but not necessary. If you don't say the shooter's number, then we're not shooting, which means that (by the book) you indicate the throw-in spot; and usually, your partner will know where to inbound the ball.

Tell your partner you're coming back to administer the throw-in? I guess I just don't see the point of that. If you come back to the spot, then s/he'll probably figure it out pretty quick.

None of what you require is "bad", just seems unnecessary to me. My verbalization at the spot of the foul is either "White 23. 15's my shooter", or "White 23," (while pointing to the designated spot for the throw-in).

Quote:
You would be surprised how many veteran officials I have worked with who balk at this kind of communication when I mention it in my pregame.

No I wouldn't

Quote:
If they object I tell them they will not get past me to report as I will intercept them on their way to the table.
If you intercept me so that I "will not get past" you, then we will have a problem. That makes us both look bad, and you will get an earful at halftime. Maybe it's just me, but that would piss me off.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 09:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Maybe it's just me, but that would piss me off.
Lately, yer a little owly anyway.
Keep that game face.
mick