The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

One of the things I have the most trouble with is consistently getting a number of the fouling player on live ball fouls, where I need to keep following the play. Somewhat ironically, when I first started officiating I didn't have this problem. Instead, I tended to keep my focus on the fouling player until I definitely got his number. Trouble was, I sometimes missed several seconds of action as the play was continuing. Now, I have overcompensated to make sure I'm following the rest of the play.

What techniques do you guys use to help see/remember a fouling player's number, while continuing to follow the play?

Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kentref
One of the things I have the most trouble with is consistently getting a number of the fouling player on live ball fouls, where I need to keep following the play. Somewhat ironically, when I first started officiating I didn't have this problem. Instead, I tended to keep my focus on the fouling player until I definitely got his number. Trouble was, I sometimes missed several seconds of action as the play was continuing. Now, I have overcompensated to make sure I'm following the rest of the play.

What techniques do you guys use to help see/remember a fouling player's number, while continuing to follow the play?

The most important thing is to keep officiating after the foul. On most plays you can get the number, but if as a result of the play does not allow you to, it is not the end of the world. I would say may be once a game or two it may be difficult to get the number, but if not more than that, you need to be more cognizant of the fouling player. One thing you can do is if you do not get it right away, as you continue officiating, try to pay attention to the fouling player in your peripheral vision until the play ends and then look back to get his number. Another thing is if you can get one of the numbers, and kind of know what his position was, which can again help you after the play.

Whatever you do, DO NOT make up a number if you are not sure. It seams as though anytime you do that, the coach says "it cannot be #64, he is standing here beside me!" They usually understand pretty well when you say, "coach, I couldn't see the number at the time, and had to keep officiating." Just try to not let that happen more than once in the same game, if at all possible.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
The most important thing is to keep officiating after the foul. On most plays you can get the number, but if as a result of the play does not allow you to, it is not the end of the world. I would say may be once a game or two it may be difficult to get the number, but if not more than that, you need to be more cognizant of the fouling player. One thing you can do is if you do not get it right away, as you continue officiating, try to pay attention to the fouling player in your peripheral vision until the play ends and then look back to get his number. Another thing is if you can get one of the numbers, and kind of know what his position was, which can again help you after the play.
I think coaches are just as satisifed when you give them the position, just as long as they know who it was.

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Whatever you do, DO NOT make up a number if you are not sure. It seams as though anytime you do that, the coach says "it cannot be #64, he is standing here beside me!" They usually understand pretty well when you say, "coach, I couldn't see the number at the time, and had to keep officiating." Just try to not let that happen more than once in the same game, if at all possible.
Well duh! If you're going to make up a number you need to atleast pick someone in the game!
Old Sun Apr 03, 2005, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
And frankly, getting the number is secondary to "keep officiating".
And, contrary to to what some coaches believe, there is no requirement to get the coach a number. It is a courtesy.
They an always look at the tapes later to get that information.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Sun Apr 03, 2005, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

One thing that I think helps is to try to see the numbers of the players that you are responsible for before the play starts. Obviously, I don't have time to look at them, but if I sort of "speed-read" them as they are coming out of the huddle and lining up it seems to help.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I agree that it is extremely difficult to remember the fouler's number when your primary concern is the need to continue officiating. Here are some ideas...
1. If you initially don't see the number, try to take a quick second look. I know that's difficult, but give it a try.
2. If you can't remember the number when it comes time to report the foul, try this. When the foul occurs, assuming you see the number, say the offender's number out loud to yourself. That way two senses are stimulated--the initial sight of the foul and then the hearing of your own voice saying it. That gives you a much better chance of remembering the number.

This second technique works well for a lot of situations. On the wings, tell yourself the numbers of the eligibles on your side of the formation. If you're under the post on a try/FG, do the same thing...especially if a potential numbering exception is in effect. It will be of immense value if there's a fake or if the kick breaks down.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

My problem is remembering the number. I tend to forget the number in the mix of remembering the foul, the team, the status of the ball, and all the other requirements that involve getting the proper enforcement. In all the things required to getting the proper enforcement, getting the number is not on that list. BobM's suggestion seems like a good idea and I'll have to try that. On several occasions I have went to the huddle and asked who was "holding" and you'd be surprised that someone raises their hand. On the occasion that nobody admits to the foul then tell them "it was you wasn't it 60." If it wasn't him he knows who it was and points his finger to the one who did it.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I had trouble remembering numbers and the saying the number out loud to myself strategy worked well for me.

Even though we aren't required to get it, not having one, especially on a big play, will take some credibility away from the call. To pretend it doesn't matter is being a bit naive, in my opinion.

Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

WHATEVER you do, don't say "Coach, you'll have to watch the film". Boy, does that make 'em mad.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

The key to remembering anything is verbalization. As soon as you see the foul, say to yourself (outloud if necessary), blue 56 held white 63. Try it a few times and you'll find that it starts to stick in your mind.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Along a similar line, I repeat out loud the color of the receiving team while a punt is in the air. I will say "blue is blocking, blue is blocking". Thus, when bodies are flying I might remember who has the ball.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

good topic !!!

something I struggled with in my 35 years of
football officiating (largely at the U position)

I will work on this "verbalization" this season and
pass it on at our training sessions.

First spring meeting here is May 9th to soon
be followed by spring "games/scrimmages".
I'm still doing HS softball, but looking forawrd
to another football season !
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by parepat
Along a similar line, I repeat out loud the color of the receiving team while a punt is in the air. I will say "blue is blocking, blue is blocking". Thus, when bodies are flying I might remember who has the ball.

That's a good idea too, I had that problem last year when the PR decided (I guess) he would try to down the ball by touching it. It was one of those things where I could not believe what I saw and had to double-check myself and make sure that he was the receiving team. Then a player from the kicking team jumped on it. Pretty stupid play.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

My Uncle Ed gave me some good advice on remembering offender’s #‘s when he told me to just slow down. Then ,when I slowed down, slow it down some more. After you do that, drop it down one more notch and really get SLOW LOL. Anyway it seems to work for me . And I know it shouldn't and doesn't matter if you have an # or not, but it does lend to the credibility of the foul your calling if you can give one. And we need all the help we can get don't we? ;^)

BTW ...Good to be back and to see all you guys still at it. I’ve been homeless for the past 4 months and just got my computer back on-line so there‘s lots I need to catch up on . At this time I’m working OFL (Oregon Football League) Simi-pro football, and Senior Men's League Baseball. In between I make my living Tile-Setting. Locally I’m known as Mr. Tile, The Ref or Blue depending on what hat I’m wearing. There’s some other names tossed around but we won't go into that.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
My Uncle Ed gave me some good advice on remembering offender’s #‘s when he told me to just slow down. Then ,when I slowed down, slow it down some more. After you do that, drop it down one more notch and really get SLOW LOL. Anyway it seems to work for me . And I know it shouldn't and doesn't matter if you have an # or not, but it does lend to the credibility of the foul your calling if you can give one. And we need all the help we can get don't we? ;^)

BTW ...Good to be back and to see all you guys still at it. I’ve been homeless for the past 4 months and just got my computer back on-line so there‘s lots I need to catch up on . At this time I’m working OFL (Oregon Football League) Simi-pro football, and Senior Men's League Baseball. In between I make my living Tile-Setting. Locally I’m known as Mr. Tile, The Ref or Blue depending on what hat I’m wearing. There’s some other names tossed around but we won't go into that.
Good to see you back James. If you are ever in Central Illinois, I need to have my kitchen tiled.

Sorry, but I can't pay travel expenses too.