The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 31, 2022, 01:59pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Changing uniform number

This happened at a USAV event this weekend and I would like to talk about it and get a handle on how it should've been resolved.

Before the match, the coach turns in the lineup which includes #14 as a regular player and #2 as the libero. When the team comes onto the court, #2 is a regular player. R2 (work team, not a trained official) checks the line-up sheets, but doesn't notice the discrepancy. Several points into the match, but before the libero ever enters the court, a time-out is granted and #2 changes her jersey to #14.

Turns out #14 had forgotten her regular jersey in the hotel room. The coach was hoping to have her play while her parents went to retrieve the correct jersey.

Obviously, we can't allow a player to change jersey numbers during a set. Beyond the obvious answer of preventing the situation in the first place by catching the incorrect number before play starts, what do we do to continue play?

1. Require #14 to continue as #2 because that's the number she started the set with. This means the libero cannot participate in the set.

OR

2. Require #14 to continue as #2 FOR THE ENTIRE MATCH, which means the libero would have to find another jersey number;

OR

3. Allow player to be subbed out for the rest of the first set but then start the second set with #14?

As I said, this was in a USAV tournament, but I'd be happy to hear other ruleset resolutions.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2022, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

I don't work USAV, but in HS -- roster change / point / loss of rally to have the player change her jersey to #14. (The specifics of how many points are lost / etc. will depend on when this was discovered). #2 can now play as the libero.

I think.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2022, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have glanced at the rulebook but didn't come up with exactly thast scenario, so here's my thought on what should be done (USAV);

1. I am going to assume no roster, or if there is a roster, there would be no need to correct the roster since she is likely listed as #14 on the roster.

2. The team would lose all points earned while she was on the court. I assume that she was on the court the entire time so that team would lose all of their points.

3. If her team was serving when granted a time out, you would add another point to the other team's total and award them the ball. If the other team had serve, no additional points are awarded.

4. Let her change her shirt and re-enter the court (after all. she was listed as #14 on the lineup card, so she would now be now legal).

5. The libero may enter the court anytime after the end of the timeout. Since #2 was never 'officially' in the set, she is legal to enter and play the rest of the set.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2022, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaREF View Post
I have glanced at the rulebook but didn't come up with exactly thast scenario, so here's my thought on what should be done (USAV);

1. I am going to assume no roster, or if there is a roster, there would be no need to correct the roster since she is likely listed as #14 on the roster.

2. The team would lose all points earned while she was on the court. I assume that she was on the court the entire time so that team would lose all of their points.

3. If her team was serving when granted a time out, you would add another point to the other team's total and award them the ball. If the other team had serve, no additional points are awarded.

4. Let her change her shirt and re-enter the court (after all. she was listed as #14 on the lineup card, so she would now be now legal).

5. The libero may enter the court anytime after the end of the timeout. Since #2 was never 'officially' in the set, she is legal to enter and play the rest of the set.
That's consistent with what I came up with -- allowing for the difference between the codes in how many points are taken away.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2022, 06:39am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaREF View Post

Would they lose all their points? Or just all the points won during the current term of service?

Quote:
I was really hung up on this. Is it ever legal to change numbers in the middle of a set? (Except for blood or a damaged jersey, obvioulsy) Once she starts the set in #2, I really felt that it was not legal to change to a different number.