The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2021, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Tracking Rotations

Here in the Commonwealth of Virginia, the pre-season practices will begin next month on the 15th. I'm planning on working.

What tips/tricks do you use to track rotations? I mainly track the setter and their opposite. I continue to improve, but I'm always looking to get better.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2021, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
For beginners, tracking setter and opposite, knowing whether the libero is before (normally) or after (not nearly as often) the setter, is a good start.

As you get more experienced, recognizing certain serve receive patterns, which player is playing which position, and which position should be in which spot on those normal patterns, will help.

In any case, try to develop a system in which you can recognize by looking at the players and their positions, and not nearly as much looking at your lineup card.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Fri Jan 29, 2021, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I also try to keep track of which rotation a team is in. If a team is in rotation 1, for example, the setter is RB. The libero will (usually -- see Felix's comment) be CB. The setter's opposite will be LF, the middle will be CF. That only leaves two players "unaccounted for" -- and I'm working on that.

Also, Scrapper posted a good video from his association on rotations and where the players are . Search for it on here (it's been a couple of years, so it won't show up in the list of threads without searching for it).
Old Fri Jan 29, 2021, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
As you get more experienced, recognizing certain serve receive patterns, which player is playing which position, and which position should be in which spot on those normal patterns, will help.
Oh, good! I'm getting more experienced, and didn't know it.

I found myself doing this during last season. On some nights I'm pick up on the team's rotations better/easier/sooner than on other nights.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2021, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Oh, good! I'm getting more experienced, and didn't know it.

I found myself doing this during last season. On some nights I'm pick up on the team's rotations better/easier/sooner than on other nights.
It's a constant process trying to get better with it. I've been doing this for over 20 years, and being off for 10 months certainly didn't help. Just keep at it, and keep up on the new, different ways teams will try to stack their players legally.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee