The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question Not enough chairs for team/staff. What to do?

Hi all,

There is a question on the exam about where non-playing team members should be if there aren't enough chairs on the bench.

I have been unable to find any specific rule reference this. Any ideas? Is this mentioned anywhere?

Thanks,
Tim
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Rule 5-4-3-a-2.

😄
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed. However, it doesn't make much sense for a true/false question on the exam.

Here's the question:

Non-playing team members may sit on the floor at the end of the bench if there are not enough seats on which to sit.

True / False

I can only find rule references to non-playing team members being required to sit on the bench (or warmup in a non-playable area prior to entering the match). I can't find anything about a lack of seats, nor any explicit instruction about where to put those players.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by timasdf View Post
Agreed. However, it doesn't make much sense for a true/false question on the exam.

Here's the question:

Non-playing team members may sit on the floor at the end of the bench if there are not enough seats on which to sit.

True / False

I can only find rule references to non-playing team members being required to sit on the bench (or warmup in a non-playable area prior to entering the match). I can't find anything about a lack of seats, nor any explicit instruction about where to put those players.
Team bench refers to an area rather than a piece of equipment. They can sit on the floor and players seated constitute the end of the team bench.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2016, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
Team bench refers to an area rather than a piece of equipment. They can sit on the floor and players seated constitute the end of the team bench.
The thought that the bench is an area rather than a piece of equipment is quite reasonable.

That theory, though, demands that we expect that players should sit on the floor in what would otherwise be considered playable area. That seems inconsistent with the efforts to keep players (and non-players in the bench area) safe.

When this is all finalized, I'm quite curious what the NFHS will cite as their rule reference for this one.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2016, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Many times this issue can be fixed with asking the school to just get more chairs on the team bench.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2016, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

I completely agree. I've never had this happen (where it couldn't be rectified promptly), other than at a weekend tournament.

Since there are no apparent rule references, it appears to be a very peculiar question for the NFHS exam.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Thread resurrection...

Saw this one on the Part II exam again. Looked up the rule reference used in summer 2016.

True/False: Non-playing team members may sit on the floor at the end of the bench if there are not enough seats on which to sit.

Rule Reference: 9-1-1 "All nonplaying team members shall be seated on the designated team bench during the set."

Answer: False