The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Not enough chairs for team/staff. What to do? (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/101577-not-enough-chairs-team-staff-what-do.html)

timasdf Mon Aug 22, 2016 01:22pm

Not enough chairs for team/staff. What to do?

Hi all,

There is a question on the exam about where non-playing team members should be if there aren't enough chairs on the bench.

I have been unable to find any specific rule reference this. Any ideas? Is this mentioned anywhere?

Thanks,
Tim

FMadera Mon Aug 22, 2016 02:37pm

Rule 5-4-3-a-2.

😄

timasdf Mon Aug 22, 2016 06:24pm

Agreed. However, it doesn't make much sense for a true/false question on the exam. ;)

Here's the question:

Non-playing team members may sit on the floor at the end of the bench if there are not enough seats on which to sit.

True / False

I can only find rule references to non-playing team members being required to sit on the bench (or warmup in a non-playable area prior to entering the match). I can't find anything about a lack of seats, nor any explicit instruction about where to put those players.

FMadera Mon Aug 22, 2016 06:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by timasdf (Post 990105)
Agreed. However, it doesn't make much sense for a true/false question on the exam. ;)

Here's the question:

Non-playing team members may sit on the floor at the end of the bench if there are not enough seats on which to sit.

True / False

I can only find rule references to non-playing team members being required to sit on the bench (or warmup in a non-playable area prior to entering the match). I can't find anything about a lack of seats, nor any explicit instruction about where to put those players.

Team bench refers to an area rather than a piece of equipment. They can sit on the floor and players seated constitute the end of the team bench.

timasdf Wed Aug 24, 2016 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMadera (Post 990106)
Team bench refers to an area rather than a piece of equipment. They can sit on the floor and players seated constitute the end of the team bench.

The thought that the bench is an area rather than a piece of equipment is quite reasonable.

That theory, though, demands that we expect that players should sit on the floor in what would otherwise be considered playable area. That seems inconsistent with the efforts to keep players (and non-players in the bench area) safe.

When this is all finalized, I'm quite curious what the NFHS will cite as their rule reference for this one.

FMadera Thu Aug 25, 2016 08:39pm

Many times this issue can be fixed with asking the school to just get more chairs on the team bench.

timasdf Fri Aug 26, 2016 02:09am

I completely agree. I've never had this happen (where it couldn't be rectified promptly), other than at a weekend tournament.

Since there are no apparent rule references, it appears to be a very peculiar question for the NFHS exam.

timasdf Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19pm

Thread resurrection...

Saw this one on the Part II exam again. Looked up the rule reference used in summer 2016.

True/False: Non-playing team members may sit on the floor at the end of the bench if there are not enough seats on which to sit.

Rule Reference: 9-1-1 "All nonplaying team members shall be seated on the designated team bench during the set."

Answer: False