The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2014, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Musings from my Officials Staff Mtg

Attending our officials staff mtg last night. It was both interesting and coincidental. Interesting to hear the conveners talk about: 1) new FT rule;
2) they went over a few of your more commonly mis-understood rules (your usual suspects e.g., high dribble vs palming, block/charge/blarge, and issues of verticality),
3) also discussing that we should really manage the issue of "lane over-reaching"--when players in lane spaces during FT's will arm tangle prior to boxing out.
4) did you'all know that if the FT shooter gets boxed out and physically touched by a lane space occupier while the ball is in flight, then it is a common foul on said defender? News to me.

It was coincidental to the extent that some of the issues we discussed on this Forum were also brought up. I actually asked the convener about "allowing defenders to wedge betw offensive players on stack formation throw ins". The convener said, if the offensive player have already obtained their positions, then the defenders have no right trying to wedge between them.
In closing the conveners told us verbatim "blow your whistles more often and early".
Old Wed Nov 12, 2014, 04:34pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Attending our officials staff mtg last night. It was both interesting and coincidental. Interesting to hear the conveners talk about: 1) new FT rule;
2) they went over a few of your more commonly mis-understood rules (your usual suspects e.g., high dribble vs palming, block/charge/blarge, and issues of verticality),
3) also discussing that we should really manage the issue of "lane over-reaching"--when players in lane spaces during FT's will arm tangle prior to boxing out.
The local middle schools play girls basketball as a fall sport here. during my games, my partners (and in turn myself) talked to the players about this. Last year, I even called a double-foul when two girls got overzealous with their jostling.

Quote:
4) did you'all know that if the FT shooter gets boxed out and physically touched by a lane space occupier while the ball is in flight, then it is a common foul on said defender? News to me.
If I'm reading this correctly, any contact on the shooter while the ball is still in flight is to be called a foul in your part of Rome?

I can't find the recent thread discussing what might be this very issue. It used to be the case that this was the rule the last time players in the lane space could enter on the release. But with the new rule change allowing this again, there has been no corresponding addition of language that would make what was described in #4 a foul unless it was more than incidental contact.

Our first association meeting is Monday. I hope we have some good discussion on some of these topics as well.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Wed Nov 12, 2014 at 07:50pm. Reason: Edited to strike incorrect statement.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2014, 04:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, any contact on the shooter while the ball is still in flight is to be called a foul in your part of Rome?

I can't find the recent thread discussing what might be this very issue. It used to be the case that this was the rule the last time players in the lane space could enter on the release.
No, it wasn't the case before. Before, it was a lane violation on the defender.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2014, 07:50pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
No, it wasn't the case before. Before, it was a lane violation on the defender.
Thanks, Adam. I stand corrected.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 12:53am
AremRed

Quote:
So any contact is a foul? That's news to me too. Must be one of those new "automatic" fouls.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 07:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Boom Goes The Dynamite ...

1) "Clarification" ???

2) "Clarification" ???
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

And among other things that the conveners alerted/warned us about was that, and this was verbatim: "Officials please be aware that many people/fans are videotaping/recording your games with their cell phones and are anxious to have video of you acting unprofessionally. I [one of the conveners said] at times will get a video from a parent / fan of a game and they want to discuss with me your actions. Please be professional and be careful about what you do in the parking lot--and I'll leave it at that."
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 10:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... Please be professional and be careful about what you do in the parking lot--and I'll leave it at that."
Are y'all breaking out the moonshine and corn liquor when you get to the car?
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 11:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Are y'all breaking out the moonshine and corn liquor when you get to the car?
Absolutely not. We wait till we hit the road outside the parking lot to open up the cooler.

Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 11:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Absolutely not. We wait till we hit the road outside the parking lot to open up the cooler.

I've been on that trip.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 11:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I've been on that trip.
Back when I started officiating in the late 1980s, the length of a road trip was measured in the number of six packs you'd get for the ride home.

Thankfully, those days are long over.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 12:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Back when I started officiating in the late 1980s, the length of a road trip was measured in the number of six packs you'd get for the ride home.

Thankfully, those days are long over.
In most areas of the country anyways...
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 02:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by welpe View Post
in most areas of the country anyways...
+1
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And among other things that the conveners alerted/warned us about was that, and this was verbatim: "Officials please be aware that many people/fans are videotaping/recording your games with their cell phones and are anxious to have video of you acting unprofessionally. I [one of the conveners said] at times will get a video from a parent / fan of a game and they want to discuss with me your actions. Please be professional and be careful about what you do in the parking lot--and I'll leave it at that."
Send some of the folks you work with to the Forum. That'll remind them all the video that APG and I - as well as others - post has to come from somewhere.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Send some of the folks you work with to the Forum. That'll remind them all the video that APG and I - as well as others - post has to come from somewhere.
*I sure will do that. I've told them all about your fine website here.