The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

MS VB / Sub Varsity VB

Ok, here is a question about your MS VB / Frosh /JV in your area.

What format do your teams use. 2 out 3 or play all 3? If you play all 3 what do you go to score wise? Do you have a cap in any of the games? We are having a league wide issue in one of the area leagues.

Also, do your MS allow the libero?

Finally how much do your areas pay for a MS DH (7th then 8th grade)?
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Frosh & JV is regular 2 out of 3 sets and our jr high teams play 3 out of 5.Both levels pay at the same rate of $58.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Junior high volleyball (two matches / best two out of three) pay varies widely in my area... anywhere from $45 - $65. I generally will not take matches at schools paying less than $50.00. Two officials are assigned to each contest. This is the first year our state's main association for junior high sports is allowing the libero. It will not be a problem for the larger schools where players are already active in club volleyball. For some of the smaller schools, where players are hitting the volleyball court for the first time, it will likely be a serious headache.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

In my area all of those go 2 out of 3, but if it goes to 3 the last game is usually only to 15 (for HS JV its agreed upon by the coaches or administration before starting whether it will go to 15 or 25).

Liberos are allowed in middle school here, but they are rarely actually used.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Kyle-
Welcome to the board,what state do you work out of?
Old Fri Oct 23, 2015, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Here's the scoop for the RVA. MS is up to the school - 2/3 or 3/5 (pay is $50 for a single). JV is 2/3 (pay is $30 per for 2 refs). Varsity is 3/5 (pay is $75 per for 2 refs). Also, the driver/s to out-of-town games get a travel stipend.

I did a triple header last night, and I'll gross $180 for the evening. Each match went 3 sets. The best of the night was the 3rd set in the JV match. The visitors came from 11-14 down in 3rd to win 25-23 (15, win by 2, no cap). The gym was loud and rockin'. Luv'ed it.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2015, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a blast-I was on a line last night in the top league in my part of the county.Home team won first 2 sets,Visitors won the next 2 before the home team won in 5.Had the same match about 3 weeks ago and it was Visitors won first 2,Home next 3.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2015, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Ok, here is a question about your MS VB / Frosh /JV in your area.

What format do your teams use. 2 out 3 or play all 3? If you play all 3 what do you go to score wise? Do you have a cap in any of the games? We are having a league wide issue in one of the area leagues.

Also, do your MS allow the libero?

Finally how much do your areas pay for a MS DH (7th then 8th grade)?
In my area of Michigan we work single official for MS, play all 3 to 25 (no cap or hard cap at 25 depending on the conference) and the pay is generally $50 for a 7th/8th DH. All MS is single official. The funny thing is some of the smaller private schools (which play 5th-8th grade as MS JV and Varsity teams pay higher than the larger public schools).

There are two conferences I usually work for HS, plus a couple per year in other conferences. The two larger school conferences play subvarsity all 3. In one conference (conference A) the format is if the teams split the first two, the third is to 25. If a teams sweeps the first 2, we play the third to 15. (bassackawards of normal). The other conference plays all 3 to 25.

The biggest difference is officials used. In conference A, there is one official for frosh, 1 for JV, then they work Varsity together with student LJ's. In conference B, plus the other's I occasionally work, there are two officials on frosh, two on JV, and all 4 work varsity (R1, R2, 2 LJ's). The pay for both conference A and B is $75 for the night. The other occasional conferences generally pay either $70 or $75 for a similar format.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Kyle-
Welcome to the board,what state do you work out of?
Kansas.

I'm not actually officiating volleyball yet. I umpire baseball and will likely register for volleyball next year. I have a daughter who is a HS sophomore, I've recently been through the middle school/JV/C-team routine.

I know the rules for volleyball quite well, and volunteer to LJ every chance I get, but I haven't actually refereed any volleyball games. This looked like a good place to learn before I throw myself to the wolves.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Kyle-
this is a great place to learn,it's helped me tons.what are the training requirements for Kansas?
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Kyle-
this is a great place to learn,it's helped me tons.what are the training requirements for Kansas?
Pay your money and pass the NFHS test.

*I* don't feel comfortable with that level, though.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehutson View Post

This is the same requirements for Maryland and West Virginia which has proven to be a mistake many years with people coming in saying it's easy money. I'm so glad to see that you are being proactive and learning as much as you can before taking the court. You won't regret it. Sometimes even the ones with the most tenure who know the rules backwards and forwards still can't apply it on the court. You could never convince them of it though.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2015, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehutson View Post

Wow, your state requires you to pass the NFHS test to officiate.

To become a registered official in Michigan you must

1) Pay your money

2) Pass the MHSAA Officials Guidebook Test (which has ZERO sport specific rules but makes you know about the MHSAA).

3) Start officiating.

Only two sports in Michigan, football and basketball require you to pass a sport specific test to become an official.

Michigan does not require officials to pass a sport specific rules test unless they a new football or basketball official, or they are trying to work state post-season games (Varsity only). For non-state tourney officials and officials working subvarsity there is no requirement that you ever pass a sport specific test.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2015, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

I have to pass the NFHS exam with the acceptable score and also complete on court and classroom hours before I hit the floor each year
Old Mon Nov 02, 2015, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have to pass the NFHS exam with the acceptable score and also complete on court and classroom hours before I hit the floor each year
Same here. Minimum passing score to officiate is 75% and for playoff qualification 90%.

In addition, all officials in any sport must attend a one time OCEP principles of officiating course, and officials are also required to attend a sports specific OCEP course at least once every five years to maintain playoff eligibility.

We also have a state activities association mandated annual training requirement including an on court practicum.