The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 01, 2015, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Worked with that kind of partner

Got to work with "that" official the other night. One of those guys that knows it all and isn't afraid to tell you about it. This was a NFHS match, he mentioned NCAA mechanics and procedures at least 10 times, probably more. Informed the scorekeeper NOT to hit the horn if they think the incorrect server is serving, wait till the point plays out then hit the horn. Stated there was an NCAA match where the scorekeeper hit the horn incorrectly on match point and the team lost the match on the reserve. And yes we did have this happen during the match. Scolded me about using a card as R1, even though he missed 2 different illegal alignments that I caught having my card, I also knew as soon as the ball was contacted that the incorrect server situation happened. Scolded me about using a card as R2 (which is required in NFHS) saying that I could poke a players eye out when they were coming for the ball with that in my hand, again insert NCAA story about this happening in a match.

I am not one to point out others flaws, I admit I am a better softball official than I am volleyball. But when someone is such a .....well jerk about certain items but doesn't know other simplier rules because they are different from NFHS, or just takes it upon himself to modify items because he feels it's better that way, it's a little upsetting.

So part of that was venting, but my real question is how do you deal with someone like that? I was respectful and did the "really, but I thought NFHS was XXX" approach. But it was an uncomfortable evening and I was wondering if anyone else had any advice of how to deal with / ease the tension in this sort of partner situation.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2015, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

You guys get to use lineup cards? California doesn't allow the use of lineup cards. As to what to do about your partner-that's a tough one: For me I'd just get in and get out,if you have the option to block a partner on arbiter I'd do that if you don't want to work with the person.I haven't blocked anyone in two years complete.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Fri Sep 11, 2015, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Every group must have "that one guy"

Unfortunately, I feel your pain. Every group must have that one official that knows it all. Our guy is very convincing that he knows all of the rules, is able to quote back rule #s, but he never applies it. He is convinced that he is the best official in our small group of 12 and isn't afraid to tell everyone he is the best, including the coaches. Funny thing is, I'm the assignor. I hear all of the complaints from everyone that has to work with him. I hear complaints from every single coach. Instead of supporting his partners, he will call them over to the net to question calls and purposely replays the point instead of siding with the partner. He also has a habit of telling the other official what he feels they are doing wrong while standing in front of the table of bookkeepers. The only good thing we have going for us now is his age. He is finally talking about retiring in the next few years. I have worked with him for 20+ years. I worked with him last night at a very competitive match. I left the gym so stressed. It just shouldn't be like that.
Old Fri Sep 11, 2015, 10:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Percent View Post
Unfortunately, I feel your pain. Every group must have that one official that knows it all. Our guy is very convincing that he knows all of the rules, is able to quote back rule #s, but he never applies it. He is convinced that he is the best official in our small group of 12 and isn't afraid to tell everyone he is the best, including the coaches. Funny thing is, I'm the assignor. I hear all of the complaints from everyone that has to work with him. I hear complaints from every single coach. Instead of supporting his partners, he will call them over to the net to question calls and purposely replays the point instead of siding with the partner. He also has a habit of telling the other official what he feels they are doing wrong while standing in front of the table of bookkeepers. The only good thing we have going for us now is his age. He is finally talking about retiring in the next few years. I have worked with him for 20+ years. I worked with him last night at a very competitive match. I left the gym so stressed. It just shouldn't be like that.
You must really be short numbers to keep using a person like this. I'm an assigner, too, and that person would find his way out of my league pretty quickly.
Old Sun Sep 13, 2015, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

The R1 is typically in charge of the match.

If you are the R1 and it's a NFHS match, simply state that you will be using the NFHS mechanics.

If you are the R2, bite your tongue and mimic the R1's signals as appropriate.

In either case, put them on your "do not assign me with this person" list. If enough people do that and refuse to work with them, the assigner will be forced to address it.