The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Track & Field

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Getting Started in NC

I am interested in beginning officiating track and field here in NC starting in 2008. The state's website doesn't list any booking agents for track. Does anyone know how I should begin?

Also, I'll throw this out there for you. Other than an interest in the sport, I have no experience in track (never ran or coached it). In your opinions, does this help or hurt my chances of becoming a good official? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 09:51pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I just now noticed your posting. Usually there aren't many in the track and field part, that's why I didn't notice till now. Anyway, I'm in Nebraska/Iowa, where we pretty much have to get our own bookings. I'm fortunate that I also do football and basketball and get asked by those AD's to work their meets as a starter. That would be one route for you to go.

Are you in a metro area where a big school district might have a district-wide coordinator for athletics and/or PE? If so, contact them. You might have to pick up some middle school meets or undervarsity meets at the bigger schools to get some experience.

As for experience, I did run some track in high school, but hadn't been around the sport except as a spectator before I got my registration as a starter. Sometimes I felt like I wasn't doing the right thing, so I would contact another football/basketball official who also is a starter for track, as well as my college PE instructor who is a starter as well, and bounce some stuff off of them. Eventually, they gave me some leads as to some bookings as well.

You might have to go at it slowly, but eventually, with experience and knowledge, you'll get there.