Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

NFHS acts to slow down games

From the NFHS:
Quote:
COMMENTS ON 2016 RULE CHANGES
Projected Substitute: In Rule 3-3-3 there is a statement that "projected substitutions are not permitted" however, projected substitutes are not currently defined in the Rules Book. Therefore the creation of rule 2-57-4, NEW: A projected substitute is defined as a player who does not immediately participate in the game.

Rule 2-57-4 has been added because there are situations where coaches attempt to speed up the game by making multiple substitutions on offense that may not happen immediately. This is an inappropriate practice on offense because we need games to last longer for the overall players' experience. Therefore, coaches may only substitute for the immediate player at bat. This will cause multiple time outs called, one for each substitute, and will result in the umpire removing and notating on his lineup card and then informing the opposing coach and official scorekeeper multiple times. This extra time will allow the players a breather from the action, slow down the game, and enhance the overall player experience which is a primary goal of NFHS athletics. Note: Multiple substitutions on defense are not considered projected substitutes as all players are immediately entering the field of play at the same time. Maybe next year we will come up with a rule change to require these to be announced one at a time, too. Besides, this makes us more like the NCAA and ensures that NFHS coaches don't confuse themselves and can make a smooth transition to a college coaching position.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

That is seriously their reasoning? They want games to last longer, so lets make the coach call time out more often to enter subs and make the umpire make multiple lineup entries rather than just 1?

As if many high school games dont go on longer than they need to in the first place.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
That is seriously their reasoning? They want games to last longer, so lets make the coach call time out more often to enter subs and make the umpire make multiple lineup entries rather than just 1?

As if many high school games dont go on longer than they need to in the first place.
I selectively edited their comment on the rule change for sarcastic effect.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I have sent two scenarios to my state rule interpreter, who is on the national rule committee. Both are "common procedures" in the past which may now be disallowed by rule.

Scenario 1: The visiting team entering the DP on defense at the plate conference.
Scenario 2: A sub (not the flex) runs for the DP. After the offensive half of the inning, the coach wants to re-enter the DP as to not forget when it is her time to bat.

In neither of these scenarios will the player "immediately play."
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 01:07pm
Administrator

Our (MTD, Jr. and Sr.) two cents.

I have not ever allowed a projected substitution in either baseball or fast pitch softball. While it may slow the game down a bit it is one ounce of prevention that prevents one pound of horse manure hitting the fan.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

No rule set has ever issued a definition of what a projected sub was (until now). And, their case plays all involved trying to make 2 moves with the same player, not entering multiple players on offense.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Seriously, what is so wrong with say a coach entering a sub and telling you that the player being subbed for will re-enter. Why is it so critical that such change be made in two separate announcements? I don't get the need for it. Easier for me to make a note one time. And don't give me the "but if" excuse. You mean I can't handle that if it happens? Move the game along.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
Seriously, what is so wrong with say a coach entering a sub and telling you that the player being subbed for will re-enter. Why is it so critical that such change be made in two separate announcements? I don't get the need for it. Easier for me to make a note one time. And don't give me the "but if" excuse. You mean I can't handle that if it happens? Move the game along.
Actual example from about 3 years ago in the playoffs... caused a long delay and a protest...

Sub #10 pinch hitting for Starter # 1. Coach says 1 will be going right back in for 10. Umpire accepts this without clarification, informs scorekeeper.

Team bats around, 10 bats again. On defense, 1 goes back in.

Argument ensues over whether 10 batting again was a 2nd reentry (making 1 ineligible to come back in) as the scorekeeper and umpire were told 1 was reentering after 10's first at bat.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 02:55pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Here is a link to the rule change:

2016 Softball Rules Changes

Didn't see a detailed explanation, but the POE's will be:

• FP Strike Zone
  • DP/Flex Education (whatever that means)
  • FP Pitching

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Whenever I see something like this from NFHS, I quietly say to myself, over and over, "Thank GOD we (New York) don't follow NFHS...." Right, EsqUmp?
Old Sat Jul 18, 2015, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
NFHS needs to define "participate". Being in the lineup as a replacement for BO #7 while BO #5 is up can be participating.

Any change of the lineup that takes effect immediately is not "projected".
Old Sun Jul 19, 2015, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

2-57-4 New: Art 4… Projected Substitute. A projected substitute is a player who does not immediately participate in the game. Projected substitutes are not permitted (3-3-3).

Ridiculous wording and the constant discussion about this is just as absurd.

All substitutes are in effect at the moment they are announced. Now, just how difficult is that to understand? No "what ifs" or "buts", just plain and simple.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2015, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
...All substitutes are in effect at the moment they are announced. Now, just how difficult is that to understand? No "what ifs" or "buts", just plain and simple.
Apparently, NFHS disagrees. A substitute may now only be accepted when the player is running out on defense, trotting to a base as a PR, or carrying a bat into the batter's box.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2015, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Yes, this is is absurd.

As I said, if NFHS insists on this definition as written they need to define "participate".

Being in the lineup as a replacement for the seventh batter while the fifth batter is up is participating.
Just as the starting players lineup is participating as soon as it is official. Including the ninth batter.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2015, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Apparently, NFHS disagrees. A substitute may now only be accepted when the player is running out on defense, trotting to a base as a PR, or carrying a bat into the batter's box.
Only if they are as stupid as I have accused them of being over the years

My statement meets the proposed rule change. All changes are effective immediately and those who are entering are now participating in the game.

I cannot help it if an organization representing the athletic side of an educational institution are not smart enough to word is properly.