The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Then each "starter" needs to be reported separately as they come to bat.
That has always been my argument to accepting multiple offensive subs is protracted substitutions. The visiting teams starting lineup is entirely projected as not one of those players has yet participated under that definition. It is only a matter of time before a coach tries to change his lineup after the lineup is submitted and argues it should not count as a substitution because those players have not yet participated.
Old Thu Aug 06, 2015, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Now there is some clarification (from an email I received, I assume this is a NFHS comment):

Quote:
Projected Substitute: In Rule 3-3-3 there is a statement that "projected substitutions are not permitted" however, projected substitutes are not currently defined in the Rules Book.

Therefore the creation of rule 2-57-4, NEW: A projected substitute is the act of entering a substitute without first removing a player from that position in the lineup.

This definition has been added because there are situations where coaches attempt to make a substitution for the upcoming half inning on defense while the player being replaced is still on offense. This is illegal. The coach must first remove the player(s) from the lineup and then enter the substitute(s) name(s) and numbers).

Note: Multiple substitutions on offense is not considered projected substitutes as long as the coach removes the person(s) being substituted for and then enters the names and numbers of those players entering the lineup. (3-3-2 and 3-3-3).
Old Thu Aug 06, 2015, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Mind if I ask where that email came from? I agree with it but seems to be in direct conflict with the previous NFHS statement that came out about not immediately participating.
Old Thu Aug 06, 2015, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Mind if I ask where that email came from? I agree with it but seems to be in direct conflict with the previous NFHS statement that came out about not immediately participating.
It is great if they are backing off a bit, but it does conflict with the explanation of the rule change on the NFHS web site,

Quote:
Rule 2-57-4 has been added because there are situations where coaches attempt to make multiple substitutions on offense that may not happen immediately. This is an inappropriate practice on offense because players can only be substituted prior to their immediate scheduled at-bat. Therefore, coaches may only substitute for the immediate player at bat.
Old Thu Aug 06, 2015, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Now there is some clarification (from an email I received, I assume this is a NFHS comment):
What a roundabout bullshit explanation and/or interpretation.

Now you are going to have some real intelligent folks try to "remove" a player from a line-up before providing a substitution. Are these people that dense that they do not understand that since only one player can occupy a slot in the line-up the providing a substitute effectively removes the player in that spot from the line-up?

How about something as simple as, "All substitutions or changes are effective immediately upon submission to and acceptance of the umpire" ? End of story. No maybes, what ifs or buts, all aspects of the game take place in the present, not the future.