The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 20, 2015, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

protests

Team A uses DH during league play there is no DH team B protest game in the third inning saying that the pitcher has not batted. The protest is granted saying that the pitcher must bat. Is team B awarded the game or does game resume from point of infraction..
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Why wasn't the error on the lineup caught by the umpire prior to the start of the game?
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 21 View Post
Team A uses DH during league play there is no DH team B protest game in the third inning saying that the pitcher has not batted. The protest is granted saying that the pitcher must bat. Is team B awarded the game or does game resume from point of infraction..
Usually resumes, but depends on league rules.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 21 View Post
Since this is a local rule, the remedy must be local as well. I wouldn't think a forfeit would be the remedy, though.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

When, exactly, did they protest? Seems to me we simply have an unreported sub (twice). Once when the pitcher (not on the lineup given to the umpire) entered on defense (for the DH, who was in the lineup). Then again when the DH batted. If that's only happened once each, you simply have an unreported sub, and nothing to protest.

If that's happened enough times (four!), AND it's noticed and logged by the scorekeeper, AND it's caught at the right moment, you could have an out and/or an ejection for illegal reentry - and possibly a forfeit if they don't have an eligible sub for the DH.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
When, exactly, did they protest? Seems to me we simply have an unreported sub (twice). Once when the pitcher (not on the lineup given to the umpire) entered on defense (for the DH, who was in the lineup). Then again when the DH batted. If that's only happened once each, you simply have an unreported sub, and nothing to protest.

If that's happened enough times (four!), AND it's noticed and logged by the scorekeeper, AND it's caught at the right moment, you could have an out and/or an ejection for illegal reentry - and possibly a forfeit if they don't have an eligible sub for the DH.
I don't believe you could legitimately penalize based on what the scorekeeper logged. Anything not appealed when that DH is on base or immediately after batting can't really be addressed.

Then again, does any softball rules address a DH (as opposed to a DP/AP/EP/EH)?? We are all assuming what the OP means, I believe.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
...We are all assuming what the OP means, I believe.
Not me!
Old Wed Jul 22, 2015, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Had a similiar situation. A few years ago, except it involved multiple players and when it was discovered towards then end of the game, it happened enough times to have a a forfeit ruled as the offending team didn't have enough players to continue.