The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   protests (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/99973-protests.html)

Boss 21 Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:06pm

protests

Team A uses DH during league play there is no DH team B protest game in the third inning saying that the pitcher has not batted. The protest is granted saying that the pitcher must bat. Is team B awarded the game or does game resume from point of infraction..

RKBUmp Tue Jul 21, 2015 06:10am

Why wasn't the error on the lineup caught by the umpire prior to the start of the game?

CecilOne Tue Jul 21, 2015 06:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss 21 (Post 965053)
Team A uses DH during league play there is no DH team B protest game in the third inning saying that the pitcher has not batted. The protest is granted saying that the pitcher must bat. Is team B awarded the game or does game resume from point of infraction..

Usually resumes, but depends on league rules.

Dakota Tue Jul 21, 2015 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss 21 (Post 965053)

Since this is a local rule, the remedy must be local as well. I wouldn't think a forfeit would be the remedy, though.

MD Longhorn Tue Jul 21, 2015 08:55am

When, exactly, did they protest? Seems to me we simply have an unreported sub (twice). Once when the pitcher (not on the lineup given to the umpire) entered on defense (for the DH, who was in the lineup). Then again when the DH batted. If that's only happened once each, you simply have an unreported sub, and nothing to protest.

If that's happened enough times (four!), AND it's noticed and logged by the scorekeeper, AND it's caught at the right moment, you could have an out and/or an ejection for illegal reentry - and possibly a forfeit if they don't have an eligible sub for the DH.

AtlUmpSteve Tue Jul 21, 2015 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 965063)
When, exactly, did they protest? Seems to me we simply have an unreported sub (twice). Once when the pitcher (not on the lineup given to the umpire) entered on defense (for the DH, who was in the lineup). Then again when the DH batted. If that's only happened once each, you simply have an unreported sub, and nothing to protest.

If that's happened enough times (four!), AND it's noticed and logged by the scorekeeper, AND it's caught at the right moment, you could have an out and/or an ejection for illegal reentry - and possibly a forfeit if they don't have an eligible sub for the DH.

I don't believe you could legitimately penalize based on what the scorekeeper logged. Anything not appealed when that DH is on base or immediately after batting can't really be addressed.

Then again, does any softball rules address a DH (as opposed to a DP/AP/EP/EH)?? We are all assuming what the OP means, I believe.

Dakota Tue Jul 21, 2015 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 965088)
...We are all assuming what the OP means, I believe.

Not me! :D

SNIPERBBB Wed Jul 22, 2015 07:48am

Had a similiar situation. A few years ago, except it involved multiple players and when it was discovered towards then end of the game, it happened enough times to have a a forfeit ruled as the offending team didn't have enough players to continue.