The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 20, 2015, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Optic Yellow batting helmets...

PONY 12U... I know the pitcher can't wear anything distracting, but wow these things are day-glo, any coach could credibly complain that they are distracting...
Old Sat Jun 20, 2015, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
PONY 12U... I know the pitcher can't wear anything distracting, but wow these things are day-glo, any coach could credibly complain that they are distracting...
Nothing at all credible about such a whine
Old Sun Jun 21, 2015, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=jmkupka;963973]PONY 12U...
Currently, no PONY rule, A/R, or POE prohibiting such helmets...thus nothing to support to coach's complaint.
Old Sun Jun 21, 2015, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Help me understand this. The rules I can refer to in the associations that I call relate to the umpire judgment that some equipment be distracting, but I just cannot conceive why an umpire would be distracted by batting helmets, or would believe the opposing defense would be. The mirror-finish; sure. A color similar to the ball?? Would that disqualify white helmets in baseball?

Kind of reminds me of the uniforms a Louisiana youth fastpitch organization (Deja Vu??) wore with all the day-glo colors; orange, green, pink, yellow. Opposing coaches wanted them to be called illegal (solely to get in their heads, I believe), but no UIC I ever called with would buy that argument.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Sun Jun 21, 2015 at 07:55pm.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2015, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Play ball.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2015, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Kind of reminds me of the uniforms a Louisiana youth fastpitch organization (Deja Vu??) wore with all the day-glo colors; orange, green, pink, yellow. Opposing coaches wanted them to be called illegal (solely to get in their heads, I believe), but no UIC I ever called with would buy that argument.
Sorta reminds me of a state tournament I was once working where PITA coach complained that the pitcher was wearing mirrored sunglasses and the umpire wouldn't tell her to remove them.

I asked him why he thought that was a problem. He told me it was distracting his batters and making it difficult to hit off her.

My response was, maybe they would hit better if they were looking for the ball down by the hip and not the pitcher's face.

Certainly wasn't what he wanted to hear, but there wasn't anymore complaints from him or his team the rest of the tournament.