The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Now I've Seen it All - Animal Division

Once you think you've seen it all, leave it to Mother Nature to throw you a twist!

Our ASA association has been working a women's slow pitch league for years and years. It's a fun league to work, as the ladies are there to have fun, and in fact, its the only league we work solo, as they have had money problems, and quite frankly, its easy to work.

So I was scheduled out there this evening, with my game at field attached to the local high school. It was threatening rain and storms - which arrived AFTER we were one - and so we all were anxious to start. I get there, dropped my water and jacket by the backstop....and noticed that there a group of the ladies gathered in a circle in left field. So being curious, I went out there and......there was a small hole in the ground with turtle eggs in it! And one of the ladies holding a very anxious mama turtle.

Our solution: We put mama in a box, and somebody, thankfully had a small boundary marker cone, like one that is used in soccer, which we put over the hole, both to protect the eggs, and also so no one got injured stepping in the hole.

This is stuff ASA doesn't put in the manual.....
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

It's egg laying season for most turtles, especially snapping turtles. They love to lay eggs in freshly tilled agricultural fields and soft ball fields.

I'd contact your local game warden to see if they can get someone to move the nest without doing damage to the eggs before the nest gets crushed.

Signed, a commercial nuisance wild animal trapper.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
It's egg laying season for most turtles, especially snapping turtles. They love to lay eggs in freshly tilled agricultural fields and soft ball fields.

I'd contact your local game warden to see if they can get someone to move the nest without doing damage to the eggs before the nest gets crushed.

Signed, a commercial nuisance wild animal trapper.
Yeah - about 100 feet behind HP is a pretty good sized marsh...