The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Time limit rule and weather

Ok, had this one tonight.

Travel league using USSSA rules with league modifications.

We have weather in the area, so the coaches decide to start the game a bit earlier than the 6:30 scheduled time, in an effort to beat the weather. I start my 2 hour countdown timer for the time limit and have the scorekeepers not the starting time on each book. Weather hits in the bottom of the first inning.

The league rules state the umpire shall make a decision within 20 minutes on continuing the game. At the 25 minute mark the storm is fading quickly, so I decide (single umpire 14/U) that will we resume the game in about 10 minutes (30 from last thunder being heard).

We get to the bottom of the fifth inning and the clock become an issue. The time expired on my watch as the last batter was up to bat. I call the coaches over because we have two issues. One is an expired 2 hour time limit from the first pitch, the second is that we actually started early and it is still not 2 hours from the scheduled start. Both coaches agree to play one more inning, so we do (which gets us to the 8 after 6 rule anyway, ending the game).

The question was raised, should the 2 hour time limit stop for a weather delay or continue. Every league I umpire does not stop the time limit for a weather delay. The coaches argued it should be stopped. The league rule says there is a two hour time limit for games in the league, but does not cover weather delays in the time limit.

What would you do? Would you have called it after 5, or played the 6th inning? I have emailed the president of the league to find out the leagues position on the rule.

On one side, we are out there for the athletes to be able to participate, but at the same time the rules are written for a reason.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Of course the clock should stop during the weather delay.

What would you have done if your weather delay had been longer and it was approaching 8:30 when you were finally able to resume the game??

OK coaches...it's the bottom of the first..there are 5 minutes left for the game!
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
...What would you do?...
For one thing, I would never take a 14U weeknight league game with a 2 hour time limit!

But, seriously, the clock should be stopped for abnormally long delays.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Of course the clock should stop during the weather delay.

What would you have done if your weather delay had been longer and it was approaching 8:30 when you were finally able to resume the game??

OK coaches...it's the bottom of the first..there are 5 minutes left for the game!
If the weather delay had been longer it would have been apparent that the game could not get to the point of being a legal game and it would have been called. The league requires 4 full innings (3 1/2 if home team leading) to be legal. By calling the game it is resumed from the starting point (league rule).

Now as for other issues with the time limits. We have divisions that play DH's (1:20 no new inning) as well, including some that have a different 2nd game opponent. What do you do in this situation if there is a 40 minute delay 10 minutes in. It is likely the game won't get to the require length. Do you end game one so game two can get in their schedule 1:20 time (with darkness becoming an issue), or do you continue game one from the 10 minute mark running it for another 1:10 minutes, pushing the starting time for the second game back to the point they won't get the full time in before sunset?

I work other leagues in which the time limit is included in the game time. The reason is to prevent later games from running into field curfew or light issues. I guess it becomes an issue of which group to be unfair too.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
For one thing, I would never take a 14U weeknight league game with a 2 hour time limit!

But, seriously, the clock should be stopped for abnormally long delays.
Why not take the game? Did I mention this is also one umpire system?

I guess the issue isn't as much if it is the only game, but what if you have other games that evening. It's fine if you have the same teams, but what if you have a DH (1:20 limit) and a second set of teams for a second game. Do you finish game one by stopping the clock and restarting after the delay, thus making in unlikely game two will be played? Do you cancel game one in order to get game two started on time?
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 07:24am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Why not take the game? Did I mention this is also one umpire system?
He said it tongue-in-cheek. Didn't you see the emoticons?

Quote:
I guess the issue isn't as much if it is the only game, but what if you have other games that evening. It's fine if you have the same teams, but what if you have a DH (1:20 limit) and a second set of teams for a second game. Do you finish game one by stopping the clock and restarting after the delay, thus making in unlikely game two will be played? Do you cancel game one in order to get game two started on time?
These are all questions that the league's local policies must answer. We can't really provide anything other than what the rule books would require.

I know that in leagues I've umpired, we finish Game One and not worry about the two teams waiting. They understand by being the second game of a night-time DH that they may not start on time. Happens all the time. If you stop Game One before it becomes official, and then something happens during Game Two that causes it to end before it's official, now the league has two games it has to reschedule. Better to get one done to completion. But that's my opinion.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
He said it tongue-in-cheek. Didn't you see the emoticons?

These are all questions that the league's local policies must answer. We can't really provide anything other than what the rule books would require.

I know that in leagues I've umpired, we finish Game One and not worry about the two teams waiting. They understand by being the second game of a night-time DH that they may not start on time. Happens all the time. If you stop Game One before it becomes official, and then something happens during Game Two that causes it to end before it's official, now the league has two games it has to reschedule. Better to get one done to completion. But that's my opinion.
Your position makes sense. I can see both sides of the argument. On one hand, you potentially have two games not get finished if you don't stop the game clock for game one. On the other hand, if you have game two that you know (or have a very strong likelihood) you won't finish, you have had a team (or actually many parents) drive a substantial distance for a game that won't be completed.

This brings up another issue. Do you start a game while knowing that you won't be able to reach the required number of innings in?

I personally see these all as no win situations? Someone is getting the short end of the stick no matter what thanks to mother nature.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

If this thread were to be named "Time limit rule and catastrophic injury" I don't think there would be any debate about stopping the clock. Nor would anyone in the stands complain that you weren't able to start/play/finish game 2 of a DH.

Common sense is the order of the day: play the game for the time limit, except for time taken for safety issues (weather, lightning, injury, zombie invasion, etc.).
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your position makes sense. I can see both sides of the argument. On one hand, you potentially have two games not get finished if you don't stop the game clock for game one. On the other hand, if you have game two that you know (or have a very strong likelihood) you won't finish, you have had a team (or actually many parents) drive a substantial distance for a game that won't be completed.

This brings up another issue. Do you start a game while knowing that you won't be able to reach the required number of innings in?

I personally see these all as no win situations? Someone is getting the short end of the stick no matter what thanks to mother nature.
First, let common sense prevail on the stopping the clock for weather. That has already been addressed by many.

Next, weather is a tricky thing. I don't know how many times over my career I have been convinced that I wouldn't get a game in because of impending weather only to see the storms fall apart before they got to us, or else move off in a different direction than their original track showed. So yes, start the game and hope for the best.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Oh....and add me to the list that would not accept a two hour 14U game on a weeknight. I did, however, work 5 one hour games last night single umpire mechanics!!!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

You're asking for a national ruling on a local issue. Ask your league or your assignor these questions.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You're asking for a national ruling on a local issue. Ask your league or your assignor these questions.
But philosophically, I would stop the timer for a weather delay, other than a quick time for a passing downpour and maybe then.
Then, the resolution of the incomplete game would be local or tournament rules.