View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Time limit rule and weather

Ok, had this one tonight.

Travel league using USSSA rules with league modifications.

We have weather in the area, so the coaches decide to start the game a bit earlier than the 6:30 scheduled time, in an effort to beat the weather. I start my 2 hour countdown timer for the time limit and have the scorekeepers not the starting time on each book. Weather hits in the bottom of the first inning.

The league rules state the umpire shall make a decision within 20 minutes on continuing the game. At the 25 minute mark the storm is fading quickly, so I decide (single umpire 14/U) that will we resume the game in about 10 minutes (30 from last thunder being heard).

We get to the bottom of the fifth inning and the clock become an issue. The time expired on my watch as the last batter was up to bat. I call the coaches over because we have two issues. One is an expired 2 hour time limit from the first pitch, the second is that we actually started early and it is still not 2 hours from the scheduled start. Both coaches agree to play one more inning, so we do (which gets us to the 8 after 6 rule anyway, ending the game).

The question was raised, should the 2 hour time limit stop for a weather delay or continue. Every league I umpire does not stop the time limit for a weather delay. The coaches argued it should be stopped. The league rule says there is a two hour time limit for games in the league, but does not cover weather delays in the time limit.

What would you do? Would you have called it after 5, or played the 6th inning? I have emailed the president of the league to find out the leagues position on the rule.

On one side, we are out there for the athletes to be able to participate, but at the same time the rules are written for a reason.