View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
He said it tongue-in-cheek. Didn't you see the emoticons?

These are all questions that the league's local policies must answer. We can't really provide anything other than what the rule books would require.

I know that in leagues I've umpired, we finish Game One and not worry about the two teams waiting. They understand by being the second game of a night-time DH that they may not start on time. Happens all the time. If you stop Game One before it becomes official, and then something happens during Game Two that causes it to end before it's official, now the league has two games it has to reschedule. Better to get one done to completion. But that's my opinion.
Your position makes sense. I can see both sides of the argument. On one hand, you potentially have two games not get finished if you don't stop the game clock for game one. On the other hand, if you have game two that you know (or have a very strong likelihood) you won't finish, you have had a team (or actually many parents) drive a substantial distance for a game that won't be completed.

This brings up another issue. Do you start a game while knowing that you won't be able to reach the required number of innings in?

I personally see these all as no win situations? Someone is getting the short end of the stick no matter what thanks to mother nature.