The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
If we're being pedantic about someone else's terminology... R2 is a runner... not a batter-runner.
I wasn't being pedantic; anal maybe! Proper terminology for the sport is appreciated and leads to less confusion. And, I didn't say R2 was a batter-runner, I said she was the last batter-runner.
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

My look back rule story.....

I am BU. R1 on second, wild pitch, R1 advances to and rounds third.
Ball retrieved and returned to pitcher in the circle who looks at R1 off of third base. Pitcher raises her arm and starts pump faking as if she is going to throw. R1 is dancing back and forth. No throw is made and R1 returns to third.

Defensive coach starts yelling from the third base dugout...She (R1) can't do that! She is out! You have to call her out! Since I am close to the dugout, I respond by saying that the pitcher is attempting a play and that turns the rule off.

Coach says back to me that it doesn't matter..if the pitcher is in the circle she can do anything she wants and the runner can't dance back and forth. I just shake my head and we play on....

A few pitches later, I notice coach get up and walk to the end of the dugout and start digging in a backpack...and pulls out a rule book!

I say loudly toward the dugout......"It's in rule 8 if you want to look it up!"

Yes...I know that I probably handled this inappropriately, but I just couldn't stop myself....

Next half inning break, I am getting a drink near the first base side and coach comes over toward me....."So when did that rule change, was it last year?"

Uhhhh...no, coach.....
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I say loudly toward the dugout......"It's in rule 8 if you want to look it up!"

Yes...I know that I probably handled this inappropriately, but I just couldn't stop myself....
Funny. And yeah - probably a bit inappropriate. I find that any time the umpire is shouting across the diamond, they have lost a little control of their composure and of the situation.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Funny. And yeah - probably a bit inappropriate. I find that any time the umpire is shouting across the diamond, they have lost a little control of their composure and of the situation.
Yeah, but I'm sure it felt good!
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
Sorry..I cannot buy this..You said "NSA"..."Indiana"..and "well trained" in the same sentence......
I assume you type in jest. Either way and regardless of your opinion, as a whole group, Indiana NSA umpires are quite good.
Old Wed May 20, 2015, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NSA actually doesn't say whether this is a live ball or dead ball. It's silent on the subject (Rule 8-8-x). Elsewhere in the book it says that when things aren't specified in the NSA book, go by NFHS rules. LBR is a dead ball in every other rule set.
True, it does not say either way.
What it does say is:
"... will result in the runner being declared out." (As you stated - Rule 8-8-x)
That leaves no reason for the umpire to declare a dead ball as well as the out.
In fact the LBR is NOT mentioned in Rule 9 Section 1 which is "The ball is dead and not in play:"
Again, no justification to rule dead ball.

And for the edification of anyone reading your post as education; NO, In NSA there is NO default to NFHS (or any other) rules.
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
I assume you type in jest. Either way and regardless of your opinion, as a whole group, Indiana NSA umpires are quite good.
mmmk
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And for the edification of anyone reading your post as education; NO, In NSA there is NO default to NFHS (or any other) rules.
I stand corrected. I thought that was the case before checking your book, and then misread the "Note: Any softball rules not covered or found in this section will be covered or found in Part I of the official NSA Rulebook" to say NFHS.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Good, one book at a time is bad enough.
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, it does not say either way.
What it does say is:
"... will result in the runner being declared out." (As you stated - Rule 8-8-x)
That leaves no reason for the umpire to declare a dead ball as well as the out.
In fact the LBR is NOT mentioned in Rule 9 Section 1 which is "The ball is dead and not in play:"
Again, no justification to rule dead ball.
The NSA Case Book (which is on-line, if anyone wants to check it out) has several case plays where the Look Back Rule is violated and states that the ball is DEAD.
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
The NSA Case Book (which is on-line, if anyone wants to check it out) has several case plays where the Look Back Rule is violated and states that the ball is DEAD.
To not kill the ball is just asking for trouble. If you do not kill the ball, other runners may attempt to advance and also be in violation of the LBR, but you will most likely be having a discussion with the OC.

The umpire needs to kill the play to control the game