The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Dropped 3rd strike

NFHS...First base is open. 2 strikes on batter. Next pitch is in the dirt..batter swings..runs to 1st. Catcher comes up with the ball after it hits the dirt..makes no throw. Plate ump only signals a strike. Ball is returned to pitcher. Batter-runner thinks she is out and comes off 1st. Coach at 3rd ask for time and it is granted. She wants to know...was it a dropped 3rd strike?

Question? Is the batter-runner out after reaching 1st by coming off the base in violation of the look back rule?
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alblueboy View Post
NFHS...First base is open. 2 strikes on batter. Next pitch is in the dirt..batter swings..runs to 1st. Catcher comes up with the ball after it hits the dirt..makes no throw. Plate ump only signals a strike. Ball is returned to pitcher. Batter-runner thinks she is out and comes off 1st. Coach at 3rd ask for time and it is granted. She wants to know...was it a dropped 3rd strike?

Question? Is the batter-runner out after reaching 1st by coming off the base in violation of the look back rule?
If the pitcher has possession of the ball in the circle and play wasn't suspended prior to R leaving the base, yes, it could be a LBR violation
Old Sat May 09, 2015, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

My take: I don't grant time until I see the play is over. I will acknowledge the request with "As soon as the ball's in the circle" or "As soon as the runners reach base", then immediately grant time.

If I had, though, or my partner did, everything stops as far as I am concerned. If the BR reached first safely, and has not been called out yet for LBR when TIME is called, she's still not out.