The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

hrmmm.. hope I don't have to do anything in "fairness" to the coach.... no telling how I'd act.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Now you sound like my GF. Stop.

No time limit on the game. If there was, it may have impacted a decision on how much time to give, then again maybe not.
If you don't want advice, don't post. Stop.

If it was not a time limit game, then the coach had no basis for questioning how long the injury timeout was. That was the reason for my question.

Last edited by Dakota; Sun May 10, 2015 at 06:50pm.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

And if it was a time limit game the umpire should be able to suspend time for a lengthy injury time out.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

You seem to be arguing in favor of taking more nonsense from coaches than anyone else would. I'm not sure I understand your motivation for that...

Also ... if you think there's nothing wrong with this guy's antics (note that EVERYONE here is telling you there is) --- why did you bring this question up in the first place.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 02:14pm
Stirrer of the Pot

This is purely a game management issue. If you feel a player is able to continue and just needs some time to get herself back to playing condition, allow it. If another coach complains, tell him/her you'd do the same for one of his/her players.

Although not totally applicable in this scenario, you can use the same philosophy that you find in rule 3-3-10 when dealing with blood. It says, in part, "If medical care or treatment can be administered in a reasonable amount of time, the individual does not have to leave the game. The length of time that is considered reasonable is umpire judgment."
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
If you don't want advice, don't post. Stop.I was JOKING.

If it was not a time limit game, then the coach had no basis for questioning how long the injury timeout was. That was the reason for my question.
I had no problem with you asking about a time limit, I think it is a fair question to ask.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You seem to be arguing in favor of taking more nonsense from coaches than anyone else would. I'm not sure I understand your motivation for that...

Also ... if you think there's nothing wrong with this guy's antics (note that EVERYONE here is telling you there is) --- why did you bring this question up in the first place.
Ok, fair enough. At what point when you have a lot of close plays that a coach might want to ask about do you say enough. I have a problem setting a number because each game is different. If the coach was asking about plays where the girl was very clearly safe and she wanted to dispute it, it would be one thing.

A couple plays that were disputed we seen differently by the other umpire. We each saw one that was called one way, but we saw it differently from the other umpire position.

By the time the injury time out had happened, the coach was on her "last" straw anyway and she knew it. She came out, said her piece, and immediately turned back to the dugout when she got the answer.

I'm not going to let a coach keep coming out and question plays that are not reasonable to question.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, fair enough. At what point when you have a lot of close plays that a coach might want to ask about do you say enough. I have a problem setting a number because each game is different. If the coach was asking about plays where the girl was very clearly safe and she wanted to dispute it, it would be one thing.
I'm not going to let a coach keep coming out and question plays that are not reasonable to question.
I guess I would say that 2 is my number (or less if he's a jerk about it). Because to me, there's really not a concept called "reasonable to question". Close plays happen all the time. Many times a game. It serves no purpose to ANYONE for a coach to come out of the dugout to complain about one. No matter how close. The first one, I'm probably ignoring. The 2nd one I'm addressing. Calmly but to the point. "Coach, we're not going to come out here and discuss every single close call."

Coming out to ask me to check for help on a pulled foot or swipe tag - fine. Coming out to ask me a question about a rule - also fine if done reasonably and succinctly.
Coming out for an explanation when something goes wonky or there's obstruction or interference, or some rare rule comes into play - also fine.

But stopping the game for every single one of the close plays that happen to go against him ... no.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Questioning every close call?! No, won't happen.

IMHO, this is a form of showing you up. Put a stop to it early. Questioning close calls is akin to questioning balls and strikes and should be treated as such.

I've had a couple injury plays for which I stopped the clock (both were Men's SP). First was a long fly ball to dead center. Left-center running hard to get there and make the catch, but suddenly collapses and ends up sprawled on the grass. Ended up he blew one of the tendons around his knee (ACL/MCL, don't know which it was); as he was carted off the field, he said, "it's my knee, felt just like when I blew out the other one 3 years ago". We stopped the clock for about 10 minutes to get transport vehicle on the field for him.

Second instance was a hard grounder to 3rd. F5 got into position, playing down on the ball, but as he did so, the ball hit a stone or dirt clump and hopped hard into his face, square on his nose. He was unconscious before he hit the ground. It was scary seeing him go limp so quickly. He suffered a broken nose. This was also about 10 minutes of stoppage to let him get his wits before standing up to leave the field.
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpteenth View Post
Questioning every close call?! No, won't happen.

IMHO, this is a form of showing you up. Put a stop to it early. Questioning close calls is akin to questioning balls and strikes and should be treated as such.

I've had a couple injury plays for which I stopped the clock (both were Men's SP). First was a long fly ball to dead center. Left-center running hard to get there and make the catch, but suddenly collapses and ends up sprawled on the grass. Ended up he blew one of the tendons around his knee (ACL/MCL, don't know which it was); as he was carted off the field, he said, "it's my knee, felt just like when I blew out the other one 3 years ago". We stopped the clock for about 10 minutes to get transport vehicle on the field for him.

Second instance was a hard grounder to 3rd. F5 got into position, playing down on the ball, but as he did so, the ball hit a stone or dirt clump and hopped hard into his face, square on his nose. He was unconscious before he hit the ground. It was scary seeing him go limp so quickly. He suffered a broken nose. This was also about 10 minutes of stoppage to let him get his wits before standing up to leave the field.
Nah, just drag them into DBT and get the game going
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...I'm not going to let a coach keep coming out and question plays that are not reasonable to question.
Strictly speaking, the coach has no right to question ANY judgment call purely on the basis of disagreeing with your judgment. He does have a right to ask about something he saw that perhaps you did not (e.g. foot off the bag, etc.), but not just whether you saw the ball arrive before the runner, etc.

Further, he has no right to a second judgment from your partner. If it is your call, your judgment is all he gets, for better or worse.

Now, if YOU believe you need to consult your partner, that's up to you, but the coach has no rights here when it is strictly a matter of judgment.

This does not mean you need to have a quick trigger, but OTOH, you do not have to put up with questioning (arguing) every close call.