The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Time limit rule question

We also had this tonight, along with the plays listed in the other thread.

Second game, I am the PU. The 3rd out in the bottom of the 5th is made with 4 minutes left on the 1:45 time limit. I say we are playing the next inning. We start that inning and get done. In the process of the last inning being played, the home team scores 1 run to tie the game. By the time the 6th inning has been completed, we are well past the time limit.

What are your area's rules when it comes to time limits and tie games? One coach wanted to continue the game (her team came from 12-6 down to tie the game in the last 2 innings). The other coach was happy ending in a tie.

To my knowledge the league does not specify anything about a tie in time limit games.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
We also had this tonight, along with the plays listed in the other thread.

Second game, I am the PU. The 3rd out in the bottom of the 5th is made with 4 minutes left on the 1:45 time limit. I say we are playing the next inning. We start that inning and get done. In the process of the last inning being played, the home team scores 1 run to tie the game. By the time the 6th inning has been completed, we are well past the time limit.

What are your area's rules when it comes to time limits and tie games? One coach wanted to continue the game (her team came from 12-6 down to tie the game in the last 2 innings). The other coach was happy ending in a tie.

To my knowledge the league does not specify anything about a tie in time limit games.
Well, if you don't have a local rule, I would have to believe you default to that of whatever code is being used. If ASA, you play to you have a winner
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

The time limit game-ending protocol introduces a whole host of scenarios that need to be clearly addressed by league and/or tournament rules. To wit:

Drop dead time limit: Best practice is to finish the batter no matter what, even if the home team is ahead and batting. Sure, it has no effect on the outcome, but the consistency is what I am looking for. There may be run differential rules that affect seeding, and drop-dead time limit games that do not finish the batter can negatively affect the winning team by not giving them a chance to finish the at-bat. (Smart teams on defense will simply walk the last batter assuming there is a base open.) I play drop-dead as "no-new-batter". Typically, playing under a drop dead time limit implies that ties are OK, but umpires should double-check that is the case.

No-new-inning time limit: Again, local league and or tournament rules should be clearly communicated. I have played pool play games where we could end in a tie, and I have played league time limit games where we immediately go to ITB at the first new inning after the end of the time limit. Arizona HS sub-varsity games are played 1:45 no-new-inning, and we can have ties. Varsity plays complete games.

In any case, be sure you know the local rules du jour, and cover them at the plate meeting just like you would cover other ground rules with both coaches.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
It seems to me that drop dead is drop dead, used to keep on schedule and umpiring even one more pitch is just like umpiring after a run ahead rule is met, starting an inning after the time limit, umpiring an extra inning when it is not tied, or umpiring an unsanctioned game.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
It seems to me that drop dead is drop dead, used to keep on schedule and umpiring even one more pitch is just like umpiring after a run ahead rule is met, starting an inning after the time limit, umpiring an extra inning when it is not tied, or umpiring an unsanctioned game.
That is technically true; but generally loses perspective of when drop dead timing is most often utilized, IMO. Here's my thoughts (in all cases assume the tournament or league rules are not specific):

If (and this is rarely the case) there is drop dead timing in any game that seeds, or winners and losers separate in a bracket, I would go with CecilOne's approach. Timer goes off, there wil be no more pitches, game is over.

If it is a showcase, exposure, friendly, schedule is established with defined match ups, I'm letting any batter already in the box when the timer goes off finish her at-bat (unless the batting team has been playing the clock, stepping out, retieing shoe laces, all that crap we know when they are doing it). This is the time to play the "it's for the girl's" card, and be a hero.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I don't know......it has been suggested that I drop dead a few times, but it never stopped the ballgame
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Now, an additional bit of information on the time limit rules. I decided to go on the conference webpage and look up their bylaws today. I was looking for info on a different sport I assign officials for, but since I was there I looked up the softball/baseball conference rules.

What is not listed in the rules for the conference? A time limit. Apparently the conference removed the time limit rule after last season for subvarsity ball. The copy of the league bylaws from last year (which I have on my computer) do specify a time limit, but this year that section if absent from the league rules.

I have not heard anything from the schools or the assigner about this and I'm not going to say anything either.