The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 03:43am
Official Forum Member

Time limit games

When working games that have time limit rules, do you keep track of the “official” start time, even if you are not specifically required to by rule. Wondering what other guys do, or have run into.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

Unless there is a tournament director or some other "non-coach" assigned to do it, I announce the start time to both HCs at the start of the game.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

I let them know the start time at the pregame conference and them let them know when we have about 15 minutes remaining.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

I never keep the time but that's because the partner I work with always has his watch. We let them know the official start time between the bottom and top of the first and when there is 15 minutes remaining, as FTVMartin said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin View Post
I let them know the start time at the pregame conference and them let them know when we have about 15 minutes remaining.
How do you let them know at the pregame conference? Wouldn't the time start when you put the ball in play to start the game?

-Josh
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post

Wouldn't the time start when you put the ball in play to start the game?

-Josh
The start Time is when the plate conference meeting is finished and F1 starts his warm-up throws.

Pete Booth
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

We use the first pitch as the start time, as they do in MLB. The scorekeeper handles the time, and I'll relay it to both benches on the first changeover.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Each league should designate when the start time is. If they don't then:

Under OBR:

4.02 "The players of the home team shall take their defensive positions, the first batter of the visiting team shall take his position in the batter’s box, the umpire shall call 'Play' and the game shall start."

Under NCAA:

Rule 5
Starting the Game
SECTION 1. "The game begins when the umpire-in-chief calls 'Play.'"

Under FED:

4-1-5 "The game begins when the umpire calls 'Play' after all infielders, pitcher, catcher and batter are in position to start the game." I wonder why the outfielders don't have to be in position?
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Be Clear

The league that I work for uses both a time-limit on games (no inning starts after 2:10 from start of game, no inning start within 10 minutes of the scheduled start time of the next game on the field) and a curfew (no inning start after 8:40pm on unlighted fields, no inning starts after 10:30pm on lighted). And one of the most important things that I have found to stress to coaches is that I have the official time. No matter what someone's cell phone says. I tell them what I have on my watch (a stopwatch that keeps time as well) at the pregame conference, so that everyone is on the same page.
GFGartland - #85
Assistant Chief Umpire
Bloomington Athletic Association
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Under FED:

4-1-5 "The game begins when the umpire calls 'Play' after all infielders, pitcher, catcher and batter are in position to start the game." I wonder why the outfielders don't have to be in position?
Rich: This provision might be intended to allow for the possibility that a team doesn't field any outfielders at the start of the game (e.g., if they're all infielders for the lead-off batter).
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

We use time of first pitch. I usually have the home book, who 9/10 times has a watch, write down the time.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

I show both coaches my watch, which will be in my ball bag, and it will be the official time and we agree on start time as the plate meeting breaks up. I generally add one minute and say "by the time we get started it will be...." They then generally look at their watches to get a comparison to what their watch has.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

I announce "game time is...and it starts now" as we break up the plate meeting. We've been instructed to start the time at that point.

I have a clock/timer on my indicator so I have it with me at all times (put it in my pocket when on the bases).

I have the official time and announce that time has expired when my timer reaches 0:00 (or real close). Trust me, they're keeping track and will raise Cane if you short them 1 minute.

At one park they have a timer on the score board - everyone knows how much time is left.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Interesting points from all of you. Let me say that I do not agree with Rich Ives for a timed game as going by Rule Book Game Start allows the home team to perform their warm up off the clock. I don't care if you limit the pitcher to 8 pitches, he his still off the clock if you do it this way.

Remember, baseball is a non-timed sport, so if you are going to set a clock to it, everything that the teams do must be timed. Therefore, I agree with starting the clock at the end of the plate meeting is the only fair way for both teams. Now if it is a cold morning and the home coach wants a couple of more warm up throws for his prize pitcher, its all on the clock!
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I was passing through a small town last weekend and went past a ball field where it looked like they were playing little kids softball. The scoreboard had a football-like clock and was counting down. I figured it was the game time. First time I had seen anything like that.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 10:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Interesting points from all of you. Let me say that I do not agree with Rich Ives for a timed game as going by Rule Book Game Start allows the home team to perform their warm up off the clock. I don't care if you limit the pitcher to 8 pitches, he his still off the clock if you do it this way.

Remember, baseball is a non-timed sport, so if you are going to set a clock to it, everything that the teams do must be timed. Therefore, I agree with starting the clock at the end of the plate meeting is the only fair way for both teams. Now if it is a cold morning and the home coach wants a couple of more warm up throws for his prize pitcher, its all on the clock!
I don't work time limit games often, but when I do, I treat them just the same as any other game. I don't hurry people up any more, I don't limit trips to the mound (or break them up any earlier), etc. It's just a game with an un-natural condition attached to it and I do not entertain requests from other teams to speed things along just so that team can bat again.

I compromise. I give a minute after the plate conference for the home pitcher's warmup on the mound. I'm not pulling my watch out on the first pitch, so I move it ahead a minute from the end of the conference and that's the time it starts. If the home pitcher takes a bit longer, well, that part is on the clock.

Last edited by Rich; Tue May 05, 2009 at 10:29am.