View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

The time limit game-ending protocol introduces a whole host of scenarios that need to be clearly addressed by league and/or tournament rules. To wit:

Drop dead time limit: Best practice is to finish the batter no matter what, even if the home team is ahead and batting. Sure, it has no effect on the outcome, but the consistency is what I am looking for. There may be run differential rules that affect seeding, and drop-dead time limit games that do not finish the batter can negatively affect the winning team by not giving them a chance to finish the at-bat. (Smart teams on defense will simply walk the last batter assuming there is a base open.) I play drop-dead as "no-new-batter". Typically, playing under a drop dead time limit implies that ties are OK, but umpires should double-check that is the case.

No-new-inning time limit: Again, local league and or tournament rules should be clearly communicated. I have played pool play games where we could end in a tie, and I have played league time limit games where we immediately go to ITB at the first new inning after the end of the time limit. Arizona HS sub-varsity games are played 1:45 no-new-inning, and we can have ties. Varsity plays complete games.

In any case, be sure you know the local rules du jour, and cover them at the plate meeting just like you would cover other ground rules with both coaches.