View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
It seems to me that drop dead is drop dead, used to keep on schedule and umpiring even one more pitch is just like umpiring after a run ahead rule is met, starting an inning after the time limit, umpiring an extra inning when it is not tied, or umpiring an unsanctioned game.
That is technically true; but generally loses perspective of when drop dead timing is most often utilized, IMO. Here's my thoughts (in all cases assume the tournament or league rules are not specific):

If (and this is rarely the case) there is drop dead timing in any game that seeds, or winners and losers separate in a bracket, I would go with CecilOne's approach. Timer goes off, there wil be no more pitches, game is over.

If it is a showcase, exposure, friendly, schedule is established with defined match ups, I'm letting any batter already in the box when the timer goes off finish her at-bat (unless the batting team has been playing the clock, stepping out, retieing shoe laces, all that crap we know when they are doing it). This is the time to play the "it's for the girl's" card, and be a hero.