The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2015, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

I missed 3 questions, it wont tell you which ones until the test closes but you can take a pretty good guess based on the rules it tells you to research. I know I missed the one about the weather, I missed another about a deflected ball and the third refered me to 10-2-3. The only other question on the test besides the weather that involved this section was:

Only the home plate umpire has the authority to enforce penalties restricting players and coaches to the dugout:

I answered false and apparently got the question wrong. I find it hard to believe this is reserved to only the plate umpire as he may have no knowledge of what a coach may have said to his partner.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2015, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
MTD, I rarely disagree with you, but double check. Art. 6 references umpires and tobacco in the 2015 book.
I'll second that.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2015, 03:19pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Did you forget which board you're on?

I knew what Forum I was in but I opened up the Baseball Rules Book without even thinking about it, . Junior was in the room with me studying for a Differential Equations exam and I even mentioned the discussion and that it was in the Softball Forum.

My wife and sons can't take me out in public anymore, . When ever we get to our game site the first think that Junior asks the AD is if his partner is already there, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 25, 2015, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
NFHS:
The second sentence in 10-1 says "Any umpire" ... "player, coach or bench personnel" ... "enforce prescribed penalties"

10-1-5 includes "remove nonplayers"

That covers it.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2015, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=agr8zebra;956115]Only the home plate umpire has the authority to enforce penalties restricting players and coaches to the dugout.

This is question # 94 on the 2015 Part 1 Exam and the rule book is, shall we say, fuzzy on this. However, this is verbatim question # 93 from the 2007 Part 1 Exam and it was FALSE back then. I do not recall any rule changes in the intervening years that would have changed the answer to TRUE.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2015, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=prab;956527]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
Only the home plate umpire has the authority to enforce penalties restricting players and coaches to the dugout.

This is question # 94 on the 2015 Part 1 Exam and the rule book is, shall we say, fuzzy on this. However, this is verbatim question # 93 from the 2007 Part 1 Exam and it was FALSE back then. I do not recall any rule changes in the intervening years that would have changed the answer to TRUE.
Am I the only one who saw the word restrict and read restrict?

It seems everyone else saw restrict/eject.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I missed 3 questions, it wont tell you which ones until the test closes but you can take a pretty good guess based on the rules it tells you to research. I know I missed the one about the weather, I missed another about a deflected ball and the third refered me to 10-2-3. The only other question on the test besides the weather that involved this section was:

Only the home plate umpire has the authority to enforce penalties restricting players and coaches to the dugout:

I answered false and apparently got the question wrong. I find it hard to believe this is reserved to only the plate umpire as he may have no knowledge of what a coach may have said to his partner.
I took my NFHS test online earlier this week and also got 3 wrong. I didn't get any clue about which ones they might be because I didn't see anything about which rules to research. After our test date closes in about a month we can go view the results and which questions we got wrong.

I don't recall any questions about weather directly. Question 91 stated:
After the game starts, the umpires are sole judges as to whether conditions, including grounds, are fit for play.

Did you mix up "weather" and "whether"?

One tricky one I came across was:
The plate umpire shall ask each team's adult coach if their teams are legally and properly equipped, and remind participants that appropriate sporting behavior is expected throughout the contest.

The book says this responsibility is for head coaches. 4-1-2-d Are head coaches adult coaches? Probably. Are all adult coaches head coaches? Probably not. I put false. Don't know if that was a wrong response.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
The plate umpire shall ask each team's adult coach if their teams are legally and properly equipped, and remind participants that appropriate sporting behavior is expected throughout the contest.

The book says this responsibility is for head coaches. 4-1-2-d Are head coaches adult coaches? Probably. Are all adult coaches head coaches? Probably not. I put false. Don't know if that was a wrong response.
I took my online test and we (Wisconsin) are given immediate feedback on which questions we got wrong. I answered this question FALSE for the same reason that you did and GOT IT WRONG!
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prab View Post
I took my online test and we (Wisconsin) are given immediate feedback on which questions we got wrong. I answered this question FALSE for the same reason that you did and GOT IT WRONG!
They probably think head coaches are adults.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

A good question to the rule writers is who is "the umpire". All the rules reference for ejecting a coach specify "the umpire".

ART. 11 . . . Electronic devices may be used for coaching purposes during the course of the game.

ART. 12 . . . Tobacco products, in any form, are prohibited.
ART. 13 . . . Unsporting acts shall not be committed, including, but not limited to:

a. use of words or actions to incite or try to incite spectators to demonstrate.

b. use of profanity, intimidation and/or deceitful tactics, or baiting or taunting; or

NOTE: The NFHS disapproves of any form of taunting which is intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others under any circumstances, including race, religion, gender or national origin.

c. behavior in any manner not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.

ART. 14 . . . Team personnel shall not charge an umpire.
ART. 15 . . . Arguing ball and strike calls or other umpire judgment calls is prohibited.
ART. 16 . . . Team personnel shall not deliberately throw bats, helmets or any other piece of equipment.

PENALTY: (Arts. 11 through 16) The umpire shall eject the offender from the game, unless the offense is judged to be of a minor nature. If minor, the umpire may warn the offender and eject if the offense is repeated. (Arts. 11, 13) For coaches who violate, the umpire may restrict the offender to bench/dugout for the remainder of the game, or eject the offender.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2015, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I took my NFHS test online earlier this week and also got 3 wrong. I didn't get any clue about which ones they might be because I didn't see anything about which rules to research. After our test date closes in about a month we can go view the results and which questions we got wrong.

If you've taken the test already you're probably not one the lazy umpires Pierre was talking about! (this only makes sense if you were at the meeting!)

I think they are using adult coaches here for the scenario that for whatever reason the rostered head coach is unable to attend and his/her assistant is filling in until that person arrives. It eliminates having a captain from answering the questions and taking the responsibility.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2015, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
I think they are using adult coaches here for the scenario that for whatever reason the rostered head coach is unable to attend and his/her assistant is filling in until that person arrives. It eliminates having a captain from answering the questions and taking the responsibility.
Not legal in NFHS.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

What's not legal? If the head coach is not physically at the game site at the start time you can't require them to attend the conference.

By rule you are correct that if the assistant attends the pre-game meeting they are de facto head coach for that day but I have never seen a game where they didn't return that responsibility back to the rostered head coach and the umpires not allow that.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's not legal? If the head coach is not physically at the game site at the start time you can't require them to attend the conference.

By rule you are correct that if the assistant attends the pre-game meeting they are de facto head coach for that day but I have never seen a game where they didn't return that responsibility back to the rostered head coach and the umpires not allow that.
This following quote from you is illegal in NFHS. A captain cannot do that; it must be an adult head coach that is employed by the school to legally "in loco parentis".

Quote:
It eliminates having a captain from answering the questions and taking the responsibility.
If there isn't an adult head coach (or acting head coach) available, you may not play the game until there is. In many states, that would be a forfeit.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2015, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
This following quote from you is illegal in NFHS. A captain cannot do that; it must be an adult head coach that is employed by the school to legally "in loco parentis".

If there isn't an adult head coach (or acting head coach) available, you may not play the game until there is. In many states, that would be a forfeit.
In Michigan, at least the last time I checked, the regulations specify a school employee. This is more often witnessed when the coach of a team is ejected. There must be a school employee able to take control of the team. If a school employee is not present, the game becomes a forfeit.

I have never seen where a school employed coach has not arrived by the start of a contest in any sport I work at the school level. I've seen it many times in Rec ball though. We use a similar rule in Rec Ball, but are more lenient on their being a coach. Also, with the Rec League, there is a form a parent can fill out to be registered as a coach for a team. Since they are not paid for coaching, it's easier than with a school.

The interesting twist is many coaches (not regular school employees, ie teachers), are no longer actually employed by the school districts. We have many districts that have contracted out the coaching pay and benefits to private companies (also done with substitute teachers). They are not school employees (but under Michigan Law have the same responsibilities and protections in many cases).