The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
NFHS Test - Where can I find a copy?

Wanted to get a jump on the test, does anyone know where I can get a copy.

My state we take it via The Arbiter and it isn't available until next Tuesday. I have a weekend to kill and could work on the test.

After all that is said and done, more is said than done

Last edited by agr8zebra; Wed Feb 04, 2015 at 01:00pm. Reason: Update the Title to be more specific
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

The NFHS site has a test portal. It may not be applicable for your state or association:

https://exams.nfhs.org/account/login...dashboard.aspx
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Thanks the NFHS link, as we do the arbiter method there was nothing to look at, but I was able to have a fellow official private message me the test...

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

In my state (Maryland),we are taking part 2 this year and our window doesn't open until March 23rd. Our season will have already begun. Anybody else have this situation, where you take the field before you take the test.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Test Dates

Here in Virginia, the NFHS exam starts on Sunday, February 22nd, the day before the first allowed practice. The exam is open for three weeks before late fees apply.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Just a forewarning, the test is full of gotcha questions. A single word changed here and there or a word added into an otherwise true statement. Who knows if they want it to actually be true or false.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2015, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

I had four, yes 4, nearly identical questions about not letting teams warm up during the Pre-Game Conference.

There were six questions that I answered read and re-read and answered them incorrectly for what was actually being asked but correctly for what I knew they were wanting to ask.

I wish they could get someone who speaks English to write the NFHS test.

Oy Vey
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
You are all expecting too much of an educational institution.

Last edited by CecilOne; Sun Feb 08, 2015 at 08:09pm.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
You are all expecting too much of an educational institution.
What makes you think NFHS is an educational institution? It is a group of administrators that make game rules for high school athletics, so far as I know.

This also reminds me of one of most favorite sayings, being similar in my mind:

Attending church on Sunday no more makes one a Christian than walking/standing in your garage makes you an auto mechanic."
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
What makes you think NFHS is an educational institution? It is a group of administrators that make game rules for high school athletics, so far as I know.

This also reminds me of one of most favorite sayings, being similar in my mind:

Attending church on Sunday no more makes one a Christian than walking/standing in your garage makes you an auto mechanic."
Right, and sorry I forgot the smileys. See edits ! !
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

True/False test items become more of a reading test than a rules test. This former educator of 32 years experience wishes testing would move to well crafted objective multiple choice questions that are a more reliable test of rules knowledge and application. Yes, I know it's not going to happen.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
True/False test items become more of a reading test than a rules test. This former educator of 32 years experience wishes testing would move to well crafted objective multiple choice questions that are a more reliable test of rules knowledge and application. Yes, I know it's not going to happen.
20 years ago I would probably agree. However, in today's world, people have become lazy. I find it daily in my job where people presume to know what you are asking and give the answer based on that presumption which may be right, but it could be wrong simply because the reader doesn't take that extra 5 seconds to get all the information.

Then you have the people that want to read words that are not there simply because they expect everything to be so damn specific and end up giving a response based on something that is not there.

I don't see anything wrong with forcing the umpire to exercise his/her brain a little bit to hone their ability to comprehend the question.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Good gracious, you all weren't kidding about the Fed test being tricksy. I missed nine questions because the question was either incomprehensibly written, or I missed a single word. For example, the taper is not required to be smooth, but the rest of the question was the book definition.

I also hate how they have an entire rule devoted to definitions, but some of the definitions are excluded and written elsewhere.

Do they want umpires to know the rules and their practical on-field applications, or are they looking for pedantic nitpickers with postgraduate English degrees? Never mind...you don't have to answer that.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Good gracious, you all weren't kidding about the Fed test being tricksy. I missed nine questions because the question was either incomprehensibly written, or I missed a single word. For example, the taper is not required to be smooth, but the rest of the question was the book definition.

I also hate how they have an entire rule devoted to definitions, but some of the definitions are excluded and written elsewhere.

Do they want umpires to know the rules and their practical on-field applications, or are they looking for pedantic nitpickers with postgraduate English degrees? Never mind...you don't have to answer that.
Are you whining?
Old Wed Feb 11, 2015, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
Are you whining?
Darryl, he didn't make you look up the definition of pedantic, did he? You so rarely come out, just thinking he woke you up with that one.