The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS Test (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/99235-nfhs-test.html)

agr8zebra Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:50pm

NFHS Test - Where can I find a copy?

Wanted to get a jump on the test, does anyone know where I can get a copy.:)

My state we take it via The Arbiter and it isn't available until next Tuesday. I have a weekend to kill and could work on the test.:cool:

teebob21 Wed Feb 04, 2015 02:05pm

The NFHS site has a test portal. It may not be applicable for your state or association:

https://exams.nfhs.org/account/login...dashboard.aspx

agr8zebra Wed Feb 04, 2015 04:15pm

Thanks the NFHS link, as we do the arbiter method there was nothing to look at, but I was able to have a fellow official private message me the test...

Little Jimmy Wed Feb 04, 2015 09:11pm

In my state (Maryland),we are taking part 2 this year and our window doesn't open until March 23rd. Our season will have already begun. Anybody else have this situation, where you take the field before you take the test.

varefump Thu Feb 05, 2015 01:48pm

NFHS Test Dates

Here in Virginia, the NFHS exam starts on Sunday, February 22nd, the day before the first allowed practice. The exam is open for three weeks before late fees apply.

RKBUmp Thu Feb 05, 2015 01:56pm

Just a forewarning, the test is full of gotcha questions. A single word changed here and there or a word added into an otherwise true statement. Who knows if they want it to actually be true or false.

jwwashburn Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:05am

I had four, yes 4, nearly identical questions about not letting teams warm up during the Pre-Game Conference.

There were six questions that I answered read and re-read and answered them incorrectly for what was actually being asked but correctly for what I knew they were wanting to ask.

I wish they could get someone who speaks English to write the NFHS test.

Oy Vey

CecilOne Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:14pm

You are all expecting too much of an educational institution. ;) :p :p :D :D :D ;) :( :p :rolleyes:

AtlUmpSteve Sun Feb 08, 2015 08:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 954200)
You are all expecting too much of an educational institution.

What makes you think NFHS is an educational institution? It is a group of administrators that make game rules for high school athletics, so far as I know.

This also reminds me of one of most favorite sayings, being similar in my mind:

Attending church on Sunday no more makes one a Christian than walking/standing in your garage makes you an auto mechanic."

CecilOne Sun Feb 08, 2015 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 954288)
What makes you think NFHS is an educational institution? It is a group of administrators that make game rules for high school athletics, so far as I know.

This also reminds me of one of most favorite sayings, being similar in my mind:

Attending church on Sunday no more makes one a Christian than walking/standing in your garage makes you an auto mechanic."

Right, and sorry I forgot the smileys. :D See edits ! ! :D :cool:

SWFLguy Mon Feb 09, 2015 08:51am

True/False test items become more of a reading test than a rules test. This former educator of 32 years experience wishes testing would move to well crafted objective multiple choice questions that are a more reliable test of rules knowledge and application. Yes, I know it's not going to happen.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy (Post 954326)
True/False test items become more of a reading test than a rules test. This former educator of 32 years experience wishes testing would move to well crafted objective multiple choice questions that are a more reliable test of rules knowledge and application. Yes, I know it's not going to happen.

20 years ago I would probably agree. However, in today's world, people have become lazy. I find it daily in my job where people presume to know what you are asking and give the answer based on that presumption which may be right, but it could be wrong simply because the reader doesn't take that extra 5 seconds to get all the information.

Then you have the people that want to read words that are not there simply because they expect everything to be so damn specific and end up giving a response based on something that is not there.

I don't see anything wrong with forcing the umpire to exercise his/her brain a little bit to hone their ability to comprehend the question.

teebob21 Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:57pm

Good gracious, you all weren't kidding about the Fed test being tricksy. I missed nine questions because the question was either incomprehensibly written, or I missed a single word. For example, the taper is not required to be smooth, but the rest of the question was the book definition.

I also hate how they have an entire rule devoted to definitions, but some of the definitions are excluded and written elsewhere.

Do they want umpires to know the rules and their practical on-field applications, or are they looking for pedantic nitpickers with postgraduate English degrees? Never mind...you don't have to answer that.

azbigdawg Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 954508)
Good gracious, you all weren't kidding about the Fed test being tricksy. I missed nine questions because the question was either incomprehensibly written, or I missed a single word. For example, the taper is not required to be smooth, but the rest of the question was the book definition.

I also hate how they have an entire rule devoted to definitions, but some of the definitions are excluded and written elsewhere.

Do they want umpires to know the rules and their practical on-field applications, or are they looking for pedantic nitpickers with postgraduate English degrees? Never mind...you don't have to answer that.

Are you whining?

AtlUmpSteve Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 954563)
Are you whining?

Darryl, he didn't make you look up the definition of pedantic, did he? You so rarely come out, just thinking he woke you up with that one.