The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Arguing balls and strikes: Ejection by Base Umpire?

A not-so-hypothetical question: In a travel ball 16/18U round-robin game, a head coach (on defense) rants from outside the dugout to the PU about strike zone. This is the second time in the game. The coach is not profane or super prolonged, but gets personal: "You're giving them an advantage by not giving us that strike. You have to start calling this both ways...." (etc). It's loud. Loud enough to get the attention of everyone with an interest in the game, save for one person.

My partner on plate was hard of hearing.

Would I have been out of line to toss this guy?
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
A not-so-hypothetical question: In a travel ball 16/18U round-robin game, a head coach (on defense) rants from outside the dugout to the PU about strike zone. This is the second time in the game. The coach is not profane or super prolonged, but gets personal: "You're giving them an advantage by not giving us that strike. You have to start calling this both ways...." (etc). It's loud. Loud enough to get the attention of everyone with an interest in the game, save for one person.

Not necessary. Explain to him the error of his ways.....

" Coach, that's ALL!!"

It usually works for me, but I do have the 6'6" thing going on....

Last edited by azbigdawg; Sat Jan 24, 2015 at 10:09pm.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Some guys get all the breaks

Quote:
If anyone on that team had already been warned, 8.4.C directs the person be ejected
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

you are a team if you are the senior man with that authority call time approach the coach tell him he is being disruptive to the game and state "enough" your warning.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all for the advice. Next time, I'll give him the warning.

Interestingly enough, I had his team this afternoon in the tourney championship game. Not a peep out of him.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

This actually goes beyond arguing balls and strikes. This enters questioning an umpire's integrity. He is accusing the umpire of cheating. You can still warn him before ejection, but it isn't necessary. You say it isn't profane? What can be more profane than questioning an umpire's integrity?
Old Sun Feb 01, 2015, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The variable is your partner. Is he really hard of hearing or is "not hearing" i.e. ignoring this guy his style of game management?

Depending on my partner I might run this guy or I may simply call "TIME" to draw his attention and then give him "The Look". Or let my partner handle it, and be ready to go in and buffer once my partner moves beyond his "ignore the idiot" phase.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
The variable is your partner. Is he really hard of hearing or is "not hearing" i.e. ignoring this guy his style of game management?

Depending on my partner I might run this guy or I may simply call "TIME" to draw his attention and then give him "The Look". Or let my partner handle it, and be ready to go in and buffer once my partner moves beyond his "ignore the idiot" phase.
Legitimately hard of hearing, damn near deaf.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

If you know your partner has hearing problems and the coach said something that crossed the line, why wouldn't you dump them?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
If you know your partner has hearing problems and the coach said something that crossed the line, why wouldn't you dump them?
I would warn first... likely long before it got to where it seems to have gotten in the OP ... but after the warning if he keeps it up, BU is definitely within his rights to toss the guy.

West Houston Mike
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
You have to start calling this both ways...."
Not to minimize the good and helpful answers or hearing problems;
but was it the top of the 1st?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
The manuals sure don't state on how to deal with hard of hearing situations. I've worked games with deaf school teams where sometimes, the only person on the team that could speak was a player who was partially deaf so the player would actually handle most of the coach-umpire interactions. If I were working with a deaf partner, I'd still do as standard mechanics as possible, but I would not tolerate coaches taking advantage of my partner's disabilities. Once working with a deaf team, I let the coach use his cell phone to type messages when he had questions about rules/situations/etc. They were pretty cool and appreciated the efforts to bridge the gap in communications.