The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA: Runner in contact with base is hit by batted fly ball

Had a good tricky one today on the dish, something that I've never seen in all my games ever: No outs, R1 on 3B, R2 on 2B. Batter hits a soft shallow low fly ball down the third base foul line. R1 takes two steps to home and retreats to 3B. She is standing with her back to the plate on 3B and the ball hits her in the back over fair territory. No fielder had an opportunity to catch the ball.

I signal fair and drop the signal (far too quickly) and continue watching. The ball rolls in the infield and is picked up by an infielder (F5 I think). R2 is daydreaming and is nearly put out at 2B. The BR has only gone 15 feet down the baseline, and the defense puts her out at 1B.

One out, right? All of a sudden I have the defensive head coach in my ear wanting an out at 3B. I've already looked up the rule, but on the spot, what would you have here?
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Was the nearest defender in front or behind 3rd base? If in front, yes the out at 1st stands. If behind, dead ball and award b/r 1st base.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Was the nearest defender in front or behind 3rd base? If in front, yes the out at 1st stands. If behind, dead ball and award b/r 1st base.
Rule 12.17.3 Effect on Page 145
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't do college ball, but I don't think it matters where the fielder was if the runner is hit with a ball in flight while in contact with the base.

If the runner was hit in fair territory while off the base, it would matter where the fielder was positioned.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I don't do college ball, but I don't think it matters where the fielder was if the runner is hit with a ball in flight while in contact with the base.
It matters as to the status of the ball, even in ASA & I believe NFHS.

Quote:
If the runner was hit in fair territory while off the base, it would matter where the fielder was positioned.
Not necessarily.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
It matters as to the status of the ball, even in ASA & I believe NFHS.

Not necessarily.
I believe the scenario in the OP defined the status of the ball as fair w/ no fielder having a chance to make a play.

The ASA version of this rule is 8-8-M: (The runner is not out...) When hit by a batted ball while in contact with a base, unless the runner intentionally interferes with the ball or a fielder making a play.

There is no mention of if the fielder was positioned in front of or behind the base (at 3rd, in the OP).

Can you expound on the "not necessarily" comment? I might be missing something.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I believe the scenario in the OP defined the status of the ball as fair w/ no fielder having a chance to make a play.

The ASA version of this rule is 8-8-M: (The runner is not out...) When hit by a batted ball while in contact with a base, unless the runner intentionally interferes with the ball or a fielder making a play.

There is no mention of if the fielder was positioned in front of or behind the base (at 3rd, in the OP).

Now go to RS #44
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I know this now. I never would have thought of checking the nearest defender. In all truth I don't know for certain where the nearest defender was, but I think she was behind the bag (F6).

I probably would have had to toss the defensive HC if we'd have made that ruling. Oh well...there's always next time...