The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
game management

What do you believe is best when a coach has a question about a call:
- the coach coming to where you are or
- meeting the coach at the foul line by their dugout?

And why??

Last edited by CecilOne; Sun Oct 26, 2014 at 07:31pm.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2014, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

• It is best for the umpire to meet the coach somewhere near the foul line. Preventing the coach from walking/running out onto the field has several advantages, such as:
• It helps prevent the coach from getting even more heated.
• Walking over toward the coach shows the coach that you are willing to speak with her.
• It allows the umpire additional time to review the play and prepare for the discussion.
• It is easier for the umpire to return to his position without being followed by the coach.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2014, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

I think it depends on the situation.

If coach is coming out to question a judgement call, s/he needs to come all the way out to where I am at.

If coach is coming out to ask about a rule interpretation or because something odd happened on the play, I MAY meet him somewhere in the middle.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2014, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

If coach is coming out to question a judgement call, s/he needs to come all the way out to where I am at.

If coach is coming out to ask about a rule interpretation or because something odd happened on the play, I MAY meet him somewhere in the middle.
Most of the time, the coach is going to have to come to me as I'm heading to my position when the play is over. It is not intentional, its just what an umpire is supposed to do. If I see the coach coming, I make take a step or two in his/her direction.

If s/he is irate, this gives them time to cool off. If s/he is that irate, you coming to them isn't going to make the difference.

I know what I'm going to say, I'd rather the coach get a chance to think how they are going to act.

Only one time in my career did I hold my ground and force the coach to come to me. It was in Plant City and was because his RF was acting like an ass and would not shut up. When I turned and asked the RF to calm down, the coach wanted to know what I said. So I waited in my position behind 1B until the coach hobbled out from the 3B dugout. Yes, it was mean and spiteful and the coach is a great guy. But his team had already had a couple players dumped this game by an umpire from the Bahamas and a few in previous games. I felt the need to make sure the coach understood he needed to take control of his players.

It must have worked as there were no more ejections from this team the rest of the tournament. Like I said, the coach is a great guy and positive for softball, but his players were your typical cry babies we run into in this country.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2014, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Most of the time, the coach is going to have to come to me

you coming to them isn't going to make the difference.

I'd rather the coach get a chance to think how they are going to act.

-----------------------------
Only one time in my career did I hold my ground and force the coach to come to me.
Are you trying to confuse us?
Old Mon Oct 27, 2014, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Solidly in Andy's "it depends" camp. To argue judgment, unless I have my own doubts, make the full walk of shame. If I called "safe" in doubt, I'm meeting and cutting off at the pass while going to my partner(s) as soon as I know the coach is acting responsibly.

Rule question or odd play, with basis for a legitimate question, probably meeting part way, unless coach just a repetitive pain in the butt.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2014, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=AtlUmpSteve;942481]Solidly in Andy's "it depends" camp. To argue judgment, unless I have my own doubts, make the full walk of shame. If I called "safe" in doubt, I'm meeting and cutting off at the pass while going to my partner(s) as soon as I know the coach is acting responsibly.

Rule question or odd play, with basis for a legitimate question, probably meeting part way, unless coach just a repetitive pain in the butt.[/QUOTE
Ditto.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2014, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

I go over to the opening in the safety fence at his bench and talk. If he comes out I walk him back to his bench and answer his questions. I just don't want them to feel like they can walk out on the field with questions all season long. Around here we have these teams several times per season
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Interesting that some think the coach walking out is cooling off, others the coach heating up.

Over the years, I have mostly heard letting the coach come to you if they really want something and thereby not conceding that there is anything to discuss. Part of that is the concept of staying in “our turf”, not theirs. Except a few steps to maintain distance back to position.

Yes, it depends on the case, who the coach is, how they are acting, etc. And I agree, usually, with “I know what I'm going to say, I'd rather the coach get a chance to think how they are going to act.”
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

BTW, if you are on bases, do you expect the coach to ask the PU for time first, to ask the PU for permission first, or address you directly requesting time out?
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
BTW, if you are on bases, do you expect the coach to ask the PU for time first, to ask the PU for permission first, or address you directly requesting time out?
As long as he requests time and waits for it to be granted,, I don't care who he asks....
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As long as he requests time and waits for it to be granted,, I don't care who he asks....
I agree. Umpires who get particular about who talks to them are unnecessarily seeking trouble.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I agree. Umpires who get particular about who talks to them are unnecessarily seeking trouble.
Somewhat related to the topic at hand.....

Who will you talk to about a call...head coach only, assistant coach, pitching coach, etc?
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Who will you talk to about a call...head coach only, assistant coach, pitching coach, etc?
I will talk to what ever coach has a question, as long as they conduct themselves in a respectful manner. I know several umpires who insist we only talk to the head coach, but I have yet to ever see it in the rules or in any official umpire training that says such. I have never understood why an umpire would insist on only speaking with the head coach if they were at 3rd base and there was a question on a call at 1st by the 1st base coach. The head coach may not have even seen what the 1st base coach saw and is questioning.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Stealing your "I think it depends on the situation", it does.

The only times I insist on the head coach are the plate meeting, lineup issues, or the assistant is obnoxious.
Often, the assistant is more knowledgeable, or closer to the play.
Pitching coach if applicable, same caveat.