The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Shoulda stayed quiet

Great weekend for games... everything went perfectly with good feedback about my crew, then one call ruins it for me...

I'm in "B", batter lays down a bunt, her bat about 3" off the ground. I have a distinct sound of a double-hit and the ball goes off on an odd angle (fair).
I call "dead", & I'm the only one who thought so. Next pitch she crushes a triple.

I consider "tanking a call" one where you know you were wrong, and a bad call comes out your mouth (bad mechanics or whatever). This one really bothered me because my senses lied to me.

Shoulda stayed quiet.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Great weekend for games... everything went perfectly with good feedback about my crew, then one call ruins it for me...

I'm in "B", batter lays down a bunt, her bat about 3" off the ground. I have a distinct sound of a double-hit and the ball goes off on an odd angle (fair).
I call "dead", & I'm the only one who thought so. Next pitch she crushes a triple.

I consider "tanking a call" one where you know you were wrong, and a bad call comes out your mouth (bad mechanics or whatever). This one really bothered me because my senses lied to me.

Shoulda stayed quiet.
What overcame "distinct sound of a double-hit and the ball goes off on an odd angle "?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Everyone on both teams looking at me like, "what the hell game is he watching?"
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

I kind of have the same question. What if you were the only one that was right? You do, after all, have the best angle for that sometimes.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

I'm good with that
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Mine was ball changed direction as it passed the BR heel on her first step.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 12:10pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post

Shoulda stayed quiet.
Maybe so. That's a really tough sell from B, especially if you "hear" it and your PU partner doesn't. There could have been ambient noise from elsewhere that sounded like a ball hitting the bat.

If it was me, I would've said/done nothing, wait for my partner to come to me for help should someone have asked him/her to check, and then let him/her know what I saw and heard. I don't like making long distance calls like that.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with that philosophy. I got burned once by calling something like that. My first thought was the plate umpire was blocked out. Ate that one and after that keep quiet, but immediately mirror the call when the PU makes it.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Maybe so. That's a really tough sell from B, especially if you "hear" it and your PU partner doesn't. There could have been ambient noise from elsewhere that sounded like a ball hitting the bat.

If it was me, I would've said/done nothing, wait for my partner to come to me for help should someone have asked him/her to check, and then let him/her know what I saw and heard. I don't like making long distance calls like that.
I'm not in like with not making the call, either. It seems to me that it looks like you are accepting the "it must have happened if that coach asked about it" reaction, when we were told for years to NOT go for help, because you (BU) are expected to make the call when you see it, not be convinced later.

If you are so uncertain you won't make the call, why are you then ready to suggest to your partner something happened that needs to have the live-time call changed? It has always been my philosophy that you have to be even MORE SURE of the need to change a call/non-call by your partner than the need to make an initial call.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Most of the time we pregame this and with MOST partners (definitely not all) - at least around here, PU wants BU to make this call if they see it. Most (not all) of my assignors have said the same thing when it comes up.

PU is tracking a pitch, and can easily be blocked on this call. Nothing wrong with BU calling it. If you see it, and are sure, call it.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Most of the time we pregame this and with MOST partners (definitely not all) - at least around here, PU wants BU to make this call if they see it. Most (not all) of my assignors have said the same thing when it comes up.

PU is tracking a pitch, and can easily be blocked on this call. Nothing wrong with BU calling it. If you see it, and are sure, call it.
Same here. I will give my partner a beat or two to make the call, but if he doesn't, and I saw it, I kill the ball, LOUDLY. From the bases, I won't go with just a single indicator, though (sound, see the ball hit the batter or bat, change in direction). I'll need at least 2 of the 3.

To the OP: You are thinking you kicked the call, resulting in an undeserved triple. But, OTOH, have you considered that you got the call right, and therefore the offense got what they earned?
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

That's my rationalization Dakota...

Instead of beating myself up over having a bad call burst out of my mouth, it's more a matter of still knowing I saw what I saw, and why didn't anyone else?

I'm over it...