The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   D3K differences (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97940-d3k-differences.html)

Dakota Fri May 23, 2014 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 934778)
Well, only if you are more anal than I am. ....

Is that even possible? :D

argodad Fri May 23, 2014 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 934746)
3-6-6 does allow all bench personnel to throw and run on the field between innings. It also allows for teammates to come out of the dugout to congratulate a player who hits an out-of-the-park home run. So what's the big deal with huddles?

I'd have to dig back into my old books to see what year NFHS made it a point of emphasis. Nothing changed with respect to this issue in the intervening years. In Florida, we enforce it.

IRISHMAFIA Fri May 23, 2014 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 934782)
Is that even possible? :D

That was the point :)

chapmaja Sat May 24, 2014 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 934742)
Do you allow huddles in live ball territory? NFHS 3-6-6 says you should not. That was a point of emphasis a few years ago. In Florida, we will ding the crew if you allow it.

I find that reference in 3-6-6 a little strange, considering that the same ruling (Casebook 3-6-6 Situation G) allows for players to be in live ball territory during a dead ball (over the fence home run).

The note seems to apply to defensive players, but nowhere that I can find does it cover players coming off the field into the bench area.

I understand the justification for it, but at the same time it is again one of those things that really doesn't seem to be clear with the rules.

I find 3-6-6 to mean that players and bench personnel shall stay in the dugout/bench area during the time they are not on the field. This prohibits them from going to the stands or being in live ball territory during play.

However, while doing some looking I did find this little tidbit, which I don't think gets enforced at all in Michigan.

"2. HUDDLES
In the interest of minimizing risk to participants, teams should not huddle on the field after a third out while the other team is warming up. During the game, team huddles between players on the field are never considered charged conferences. These huddles should be allowed to the extent that they do not violate any of the rules of the game such as the one minute between innings and the 20 seconds a pitcher has to pitch after receiving the ball. Last year’s point of emphasis was never intended to prohibit team huddles, but merely to ensure they were occurring within existing rules.
This was apparently a POE in 2006, before I returned to umpiring.

BretMan Sat May 24, 2014 10:09pm

I remember that POE. The idea was that you didn't want kids with their backs to the infield, oblivious to what was going on behind them, while balls were whizzing around.

Manny A Sun May 25, 2014 06:07am

The POE is conflicting. It says teams SHOULD not huddle. And then it says if they do, they should not violate any rules regarding time limits, etc.

In our state, it's no longer emphasized, as far as I can tell. Teams huddle right next to their dugout entrance, and I've never seen any umpires tell them to stop. It seems to me if there was a real concern, then the POE would still be, well, emphasized, and other activities outside of the dugout, like running to the foul poles as I previously mentioned, should also be prohibited and removed from the rule.

CecilOne Sun May 25, 2014 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 934807)
didn't want kids with their backs to the infield, oblivious to what was going on behind them, while balls were whizzing around.

Including on deck batters. :(