The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

In our league we have a pitcher who has only one arm (right) the other arm is intact from the shoulder to the elbow only (left). When pitching he traps his glove between his left arm and body and pitches with his right arm. Once the ball is released he puts on his glove.

Now, apart from the obvious health risk, is there any rule infringements?

Chris
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyzepher
In our league we have a pitcher who has only one arm (right) the other arm is intact from the shoulder to the elbow only (left). When pitching he traps his glove between his left arm and body and pitches with his right arm. Once the ball is released he puts on his glove.

Chris
Speaking ASA

Infringement upon softball rules or the pitcher?

As far as softball rules, no. As far as the pitcher, there better not be. ADA is a strong article to fight.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

I just needed clarification in case it ever came up in a game.

Chris
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Test it out on him.

The person that brings it up and wants to complain....

Take a piece of rope/string and tie his hand up against his shoulder by passing the rope around his wrist and through his armpit...

And then say "Okay, let's see you do what he does. Then you tell me if he's gaining an advantage."

Smile big...

"I think he's okay. However, if you would like to even out the competition, we can leave you tied up during the game."
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Question Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyzepher
It's not so obvious to me. What is the health risk?
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

"It's not so obvious to me. What is the health risk?"

If he doesn't get the glove transfered fast enough his nose and other parts of his anatomy could be at risk.

Seriously, the only thing that I could see ever come up would be dislodged equipment and shame on anyone that tries. As long as he does nothing intentional it shouldn't be an issue.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
No Rule ........

There is no rule against it. You just gotta sdmire the guy for being able and willing to do it.

Uhhhhhm, the best example of this is in that ummmmmm, other sport. Rembember Jim Abbott. Played for the Angels for a long time? He did the same thing.

Rick
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

There's a guy here in North Texas that has played the same way for years, and he is also a pitcher. I find it a very cool thing to watch him in action.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2003, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Just to throw this out there. Did a co-ed tournament last week and the first baseman was a woman who was (by my estimation) between 7 & 9 months pregnant (she defintely had a shelf).

No one said anything and she got a courtesy runner when she got on base but I was a little leary about her being out there. I do not think there is any ASA rule prohibiting, but it made me uncomfortable.

Anyone else run into this?
Old Mon Aug 25, 2003, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

No, but there is nothing that is (or should be, IMO) against this in the rule book. It is her body & her baby.

I was wondering, though, on what basis she was allowed a courtesy runner?
Old Mon Aug 25, 2003, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Vietti
Just to throw this out there. Did a co-ed tournament last week and the first baseman was a woman who was (by my estimation) between 7 & 9 months pregnant (she defintely had a shelf).

No one said anything and she got a courtesy runner when she got on base but I was a little leary about her being out there. I do not think there is any ASA rule prohibiting, but it made me uncomfortable.

Anyone else run into this?
I'm not a doctor and I'm not god. If she chooses to be playing ball, that is her decision and not my concern.

BTW, yes, I have had pregnant women play ball in games I've umpired. To me, she is just another player.

Old Mon Aug 25, 2003, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

"I was wondering, though, on what basis she was allowed a courtesy runner?"

On the basis that no sane person argues with a pregnant woman and the umps generally are the sane ones on the field.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2003, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I guess that's true "courtesy", as opposed to resting the catcher, uncounted pinch runner, etc.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

More like umpire survival than courtesy ...

It just seemed a bit odd that on the one hand the legality of the player would be raised due to her pregnancy, but on the other hand, wink 'n' nod courtesy runners were allowed.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2003, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
More like umpire survival than courtesy ...

It just seemed a bit odd that on the one hand the legality of the player would be raised due to her pregnancy, but on the other hand, wink 'n' nod courtesy runners were allowed.
I agree. It seems like the CR in this case would be a "league" rule which is permissible under ASA Rule 12.