The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

DP/Flex Switch

I think I blow this one but want to check it out here.
I had a HS game with the visitors using the DP/Flex. In the 4th inning the coach calls time and informs me he is switching the DP and Flex and then subbing for the DP. I thought the 1st part was strange at first but went with it and took the sub also. I looked it up when I got home and found that you can put the DP in for the flex or the flex in for the DP, but couldn't find where you could just switch them. Thoughts.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedSox View Post
I had a HS game with the visitors using the DP/Flex. In the 4th inning the coach calls time and informs me he is switching the DP and Flex and then subbing for the DP. I thought the 1st part was strange at first but went with it and took the sub also. I looked it up when I got home and found that you can put the DP in for the flex or the flex in for the DP, but couldn't find where you could just switch them. Thoughts.
You can't switch them.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

You cannot switch the positions. Dp may play defense for the flex or the flex may bat for the do but one of them must leave the lineup.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 10:54am
Stirrer of the Pot

Agree with the others.

A couple of years ago, I got "victimized" by a coach who felt he could do that switch. What he initially reported to me as his FLEX was coming to bat was that she was going to hit for the DP. Perfectly legal. But then during the next half-inning, I notice that the player who just caught a fly ball in left field was the former DP (she was quite recognizable, given her physical appearance, trust me). When I called Time and went over to ask the coach what was going on, he said he just switched the FLEX and DP so that the FLEX only batted and the DP only played defense.

Oops; sorry coach, that's an unreported substitution. Your DP reentered the game for the FLEX and is playing both offense and defense, and your FLEX is out of the lineup.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

The rules do not have the words "The DP and the FLEX cannot switch positions"; that would be too easy.

But what you will find is that if the DP plays defense for the FLEX then the FLEX will leave the game. (NFHS 3-3-6-e, ASA 4-3-E)

And if the FLEX plays offense for the DP (only spot she can play offense) then the DP will leave the game. (NFHS 3-3-6-d, ASA 4-3-D

In both of these instances the team drops from 10 players to 9 players. They do not "swap".

The only way the DP and the FLEX can both be in the game at the same time is with the FLEX on defense and the DP on offense.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 03:27pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
The only way the DP and the FLEX can both be in the game at the same time is with the FLEX on defense and the DP on offense.
Not true both the DP & Flex can be on the field defensively at the same time. With the Flex in the game any 8 of the 9 Batters can be on the field at any time. You could have a different Defensive group on the field every inning with out making a substitution as long as the Flex is on the field.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
The rules do not have the words "The DP and the FLEX cannot switch positions"; that would be too easy.

But what you will find is that if the DP plays defense for the FLEX then the FLEX will leave the game. (NFHS 3-3-6-e, ASA 4-3-E)

And if the FLEX plays offense for the DP (only spot she can play offense) then the DP will leave the game. (NFHS 3-3-6-d, ASA 4-3-D

In both of these instances the team drops from 10 players to 9 players. They do not "swap".

They can also both be on the field playing defense. Any player can be the player who doesn't play defense, it doesn't have to be the DP.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
They can also both be on the field playing defense. Any player can be the player who doesn't play defense, it doesn't have to be the DP.
Yes but the DP is still the only one of the two (DP/FLEX) playing offense and the FLEX can only be playing defense in this case. Yes DP could also play defense for someone besides the FLEX but we were talking about subbing between the DP and FLEX.

I guess a better way to state it is that the FLEX cannot be in the game on offense only and the DP be in the game defense only. The rules preclude them reversing roles.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedSox View Post
Study the DP/Flex rule of the code(s) you work and know them cold. If you don't feel confident enough with the ins/outs of the rule when having to handle lineup changes in a game, carry a 'cheat sheet' in a spare lineup card holder and keep it in one of your ball bags. Coach hits you with a DP/Flex change or question that's stumping you....reach for the sheet. Better to take the time to get it right and avoid a screwup that could lead to a protest.