The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 27, 2014, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Asa hbp

To anyone's knowledge has ASA issued an update to the 2014 umpire manual concerning 6.1.L to make it similar to HS regarding no attempt to avoid being hit by out is necessary (to award the batter 1st).

Beer rides on this answer.
Old Sun Apr 27, 2014, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I am not aware of any change or clarification. I have heard some rumblings the rule may change at some point in the future, but not as yet.
Old Sun Apr 27, 2014, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

To my knowledge, it was proffered as a rule change for 2014 at the 2013 National Council meeting, suggesting consistency with NCAA and NFHS as its rationale, and rejected as not being a good rule even if consistent with others. No change, and no clarification would be offered to support a rejected rule change.

Enjoy your beer, if the disputing party pays up.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
To my knowledge, it was proffered as a rule change for 2014 at the 2013 National Council meeting, suggesting consistency with NCAA and NFHS as its rationale, and rejected as not being a good rule even if consistent with others. No change, and no clarification would be offered to support a rejected rule change.

Enjoy your beer, if the disputing party pays up.
decisions like this is a BIG problem for ASA..... IMO
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post

I will not disagree that over the past five years, the ASA has become one of the weaker minded groups in softball (and there is a lot of competition for that label), but give them credit when some hold the game at a higher level of intelligence and performance by all involved.

So I guess what you are saying is that everyone should just go along with something for....... what was that excuse we always gave our parents when there was no valid response.....oh, "just because"
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
I know some like the no attempt to avoid rule, but personally I hate it. Hated it when NCAA instituted it, hate it even more after FED went to it. Pitcher throwing 60, 65+, sure give thebatter the benefit of the doubt. But watching college players stand there and take a 40 mph changeup in the foot without so much as a flinch is ridiculous.

And I have no idea why FED followed. They allow the pitcher to step back because they seem to understand the level of pitching in school ball is not at the same level as club ball, yet they institute a rule where the batters are purposely crowding the plate and the weaker pitchers are scared to death to throw on the inside corner for fear of hitting the batter.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I know some like the no attempt to avoid rule, but personally I hate it. Hated it when NCAA instituted it, hate it even more after FED went to it. Pitcher throwing 60, 65+, sure give thebatter the benefit of the doubt. But watching college players stand there and take a 40 mph changeup in the foot without so much as a flinch is ridiculous.

And I have no idea why FED followed. They allow the pitcher to step back because they seem to understand the level of pitching in school ball is not at the same level as club ball, yet they institute a rule where the batters are purposely crowding the plate and the weaker pitchers are scared to death to throw on the inside corner for fear of hitting the batter.
FYI, NFHS no longer allows a step back.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I disagree.

NFHS 6-1-2
Quote:
b. Once the hands are brought together and are in motion, the pitcher shall not take more than one step which must be forward, toward the batter and simultaneous with the delivery. Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really...as of the 2014 rule book, the pitcher is allowed to step back prior to or simultaneous with her hands coming together (6-2-b)

I have heard that NFHS is considering eliminating the step back and requiring pitchers to start with both feet on the Pitcher's Plate, but it has not been made a rule yet.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2014?

Yes, 2014. 6-1-2-b ......Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, 2014. 6-1-2-b ......Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnblue View Post
i disagree. :d

nfhs 6-1-2
2014?

Now that I think about it, this may be one of those experimental things that Florida got to enforce (bringing NFHS in line with most other FP softball).
I believe we got written notification from Gainseville at the beginning of the year.
Also included is the requirement that the pitching position requires both feet in contact with the plate.

Of course I don't expect anyof you to believe me until I get home and can produce documentation..
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 03:06pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Of course I don't expect anyof you to believe me until I get home and can produce documentation..
You know us too well, HT...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
You know us too well, HT...
http://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/f...hange_2014.pdf

Even the second part of this could be written better.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know some like the no attempt to avoid rule, but personally I hate it. Hated it when NCAA instituted it, hate it even more after FED went to it. Pitcher throwing 60, 65+, sure give the batter the benefit of the doubt. But watching college players stand there and take a 40 mph changeup in the foot without so much as a flinch is ridiculous.
Just so you're not the only one, I whole-heartedly agree. Now you see many players stand in the box, taking one for the team, to the point it becomes a convenient way to put the batter on 1st base.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
Just so you're not the only one, I whole-heartedly agree. Now you see many players stand in the box, taking one for the team, to the point it becomes a convenient way to put the batter on 1st base.
Why is it necessary for the offense (batter) to compensate for a defensive mistake (pitch in the batter's box) by having to make an attempt to avoid the errant pitch in order to be rewarded with first base?