The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Asa hbp (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97817-asa-hbp.html)

HugoTafurst Sun Apr 27, 2014 02:33pm

Asa hbp

To anyone's knowledge has ASA issued an update to the 2014 umpire manual concerning 6.1.L to make it similar to HS regarding no attempt to avoid being hit by out is necessary (to award the batter 1st).

Beer rides on this answer.

RKBUmp Sun Apr 27, 2014 02:57pm

I am not aware of any change or clarification. I have heard some rumblings the rule may change at some point in the future, but not as yet.

AtlUmpSteve Sun Apr 27, 2014 09:05pm

To my knowledge, it was proffered as a rule change for 2014 at the 2013 National Council meeting, suggesting consistency with NCAA and NFHS as its rationale, and rejected as not being a good rule even if consistent with others. No change, and no clarification would be offered to support a rejected rule change.

Enjoy your beer, if the disputing party pays up.

3afan Mon Apr 28, 2014 05:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 932772)
To my knowledge, it was proffered as a rule change for 2014 at the 2013 National Council meeting, suggesting consistency with NCAA and NFHS as its rationale, and rejected as not being a good rule even if consistent with others. No change, and no clarification would be offered to support a rejected rule change.

Enjoy your beer, if the disputing party pays up.

decisions like this is a BIG problem for ASA..... IMO

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 28, 2014 06:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 932783)

I will not disagree that over the past five years, the ASA has become one of the weaker minded groups in softball (and there is a lot of competition for that label), but give them credit when some hold the game at a higher level of intelligence and performance by all involved.

So I guess what you are saying is that everyone should just go along with something for....... what was that excuse we always gave our parents when there was no valid response.....oh, "just because"

RKBUmp Mon Apr 28, 2014 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 932783)

I know some like the no attempt to avoid rule, but personally I hate it. Hated it when NCAA instituted it, hate it even more after FED went to it. Pitcher throwing 60, 65+, sure give thebatter the benefit of the doubt. But watching college players stand there and take a 40 mph changeup in the foot without so much as a flinch is ridiculous.

And I have no idea why FED followed. They allow the pitcher to step back because they seem to understand the level of pitching in school ball is not at the same level as club ball, yet they institute a rule where the batters are purposely crowding the plate and the weaker pitchers are scared to death to throw on the inside corner for fear of hitting the batter.

HugoTafurst Mon Apr 28, 2014 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 932798)
I know some like the no attempt to avoid rule, but personally I hate it. Hated it when NCAA instituted it, hate it even more after FED went to it. Pitcher throwing 60, 65+, sure give thebatter the benefit of the doubt. But watching college players stand there and take a 40 mph changeup in the foot without so much as a flinch is ridiculous.

And I have no idea why FED followed. They allow the pitcher to step back because they seem to understand the level of pitching in school ball is not at the same level as club ball, yet they institute a rule where the batters are purposely crowding the plate and the weaker pitchers are scared to death to throw on the inside corner for fear of hitting the batter.

FYI, NFHS no longer allows a step back.

MNBlue Mon Apr 28, 2014 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 932839)

I disagree. :D

NFHS 6-1-2
Quote:

b. Once the hands are brought together and are in motion, the pitcher shall not take more than one step which must be forward, toward the batter and simultaneous with the delivery. Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together.

Andy Mon Apr 28, 2014 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 932839)

Really...as of the 2014 rule book, the pitcher is allowed to step back prior to or simultaneous with her hands coming together (6-2-b)

I have heard that NFHS is considering eliminating the step back and requiring pitchers to start with both feet on the Pitcher's Plate, but it has not been made a rule yet.

RKBUmp Mon Apr 28, 2014 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 932847)
2014?

Yes, 2014. 6-1-2-b ......Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together.

HugoTafurst Mon Apr 28, 2014 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 932848)
Yes, 2014. 6-1-2-b ......Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnblue (Post 932845)
i disagree. :d

nfhs 6-1-2

2014?

Now that I think about it, this may be one of those experimental things that Florida got to enforce (bringing NFHS in line with most other FP softball).
I believe we got written notification from Gainseville at the beginning of the year.
Also included is the requirement that the pitching position requires both feet in contact with the plate.

Of course I don't expect anyof you to believe me until I get home and can produce documentation..:D

Manny A Mon Apr 28, 2014 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 932854)
Of course I don't expect anyof you to believe me until I get home and can produce documentation..:D

You know us too well, HT...

HugoTafurst Mon Apr 28, 2014 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 932860)
You know us too well, HT...

http://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/f...hange_2014.pdf

Even the second part of this could be written better.

Crabby_Bob Mon Apr 28, 2014 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 932798)
I know some like the no attempt to avoid rule, but personally I hate it. Hated it when NCAA instituted it, hate it even more after FED went to it. Pitcher throwing 60, 65+, sure give the batter the benefit of the doubt. But watching college players stand there and take a 40 mph changeup in the foot without so much as a flinch is ridiculous.

Just so you're not the only one, I whole-heartedly agree. Now you see many players stand in the box, taking one for the team, to the point it becomes a convenient way to put the batter on 1st base.

Andy Mon Apr 28, 2014 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob (Post 932877)
Just so you're not the only one, I whole-heartedly agree. Now you see many players stand in the box, taking one for the team, to the point it becomes a convenient way to put the batter on 1st base.

Why is it necessary for the offense (batter) to compensate for a defensive mistake (pitch in the batter's box) by having to make an attempt to avoid the errant pitch in order to be rewarded with first base?