The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 25, 2014, 10:24am
wife loves the goatee...

Annoyed...

JV game... quality programs having down year. Coach "A" is calling time and questioning every judgment call. The fifth (yes fifth) time he came out to question a call of "safe" or "out" I stopped him as he started to complain and told him if he didn't have a question about a rule or an appeal we were going to play ball. He started up again and I walked away and called "Play ball" . He was not happy with me... what would you do?
Old Fri Apr 25, 2014, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I'd remind him that, while I do have high tolerance for hearing coach's questions, complaining about judgment calls is against the rules. Then I'd walk away.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2014, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I'd remind him that, while I do have high tolerance for hearing coach's questions, complaining about judgment calls is against the rules. Then I'd walk away.
I would then eject the coach for unsportsmanlike conduct if the action repeated itself again. From the OP it sounds like he was given ample opportunity to follow the rules, and eventually he gave himself enough rope to hang himself so to speak.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2014, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

The problem is that you let it get to five. FIVE?!?! Wow.

The first time, if he's polite, he gets his rope and uses it up. If you didn't feel the need to tell him we aren't going to discuss judgement calls at the end of that, then a QUICK stop sign at the BEGINNING of the 2nd time out gets him that speech. Not the 3rd... not the 4th.... not the 5th.

Too much rope. FAR too much.

And after you said what you said, and he started up... toss him.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Apr 25, 2014, 03:28pm
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The problem is that you let it get to five. FIVE?!?! Wow.

The first time, if he's polite, he gets his rope and uses it up. If you didn't feel the need to tell him we aren't going to discuss judgement calls at the end of that, then a QUICK stop sign at the BEGINNING of the 2nd time out gets him that speech. Not the 3rd... not the 4th.... not the 5th.

Too much rope. FAR too much.

And after you said what you said, and he started up... toss him.
Can't disagree... but our "policy" from the Commissioner is to not irritate the coaches who act like that because we are afraid that our "rival" association will swoop in and take our contracts.
ie... when he asks you to "go for help" ... you go--even on judgment calls...you don't have to change a thing, but you do cater to the nonsense.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2014, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
Can't disagree... but our "policy" from the Commissioner is to not irritate the coaches who act like that because we are afraid that our "rival" association will swoop in and take our contracts.
ie... when he asks you to "go for help" ... you go--even on judgment calls...you don't have to change a thing, but you do cater to the nonsense.
Tell us you're kidding.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2014, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the commissioner has a problem, give him/her your indicator and head for the cooler
Old Sat Apr 26, 2014, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Tell us you're kidding.
amen to that
Old Sat Apr 26, 2014, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sadly, this is how things work with assignors now. I know personally being that I assign in a different sport for local high schools that we face pressure from other assignors and associations every year. New groups try to step up and take over what an established group is doing. They always think they can do it better, so they persuade schools and conferences to change assignors/associations. It has become big business for the assignors. I am a small time assignor, but I still am making decent money assigning game officials. I know some assignors that make $2 or $3 per game and assign for 100 schools. If those schools all have 10 home games a season, the money adds up quickly to the tune of several thousand dollars in revenue for the assignor.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2014, 10:55pm
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Tell us you're kidding.
Wish I was...
Old Sat Apr 26, 2014, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tell us you're kidding.
My sentiments exactly.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2014, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

DRJ1960: stick to the book. Period. If your commissioner has a problem with that, then let him know you will happily go to work for one of the organizations who are moving in on his territory. Maybe then he would see it your way.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Apr 27, 2014, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I work for that "rival" association. Please, please, please take our esteemed colleagues advice, and umpire like you know you should. LOL!
Old Sun Apr 27, 2014, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If the commissioner has a problem, give him/her your indicator and head for the cooler
Those that get the work should be those that offer the best product, period.
Earn your keep, don't beg, bend and stoop to earn your keep, IMHO.
Old Sun Apr 27, 2014, 07:58pm
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
I work for that "rival" association. Please, please, please take our esteemed colleagues advice, and umpire like you know you should. LOL!
Evil, evil man....