Thread: Annoyed...
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 26, 2014, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
Can't disagree... but our "policy" from the Commissioner is to not irritate the coaches who act like that because we are afraid that our "rival" association will swoop in and take our contracts.
ie... when he asks you to "go for help" ... you go--even on judgment calls...you don't have to change a thing, but you do cater to the nonsense.
Sadly, this is how things work with assignors now. I know personally being that I assign in a different sport for local high schools that we face pressure from other assignors and associations every year. New groups try to step up and take over what an established group is doing. They always think they can do it better, so they persuade schools and conferences to change assignors/associations. It has become big business for the assignors. I am a small time assignor, but I still am making decent money assigning game officials. I know some assignors that make $2 or $3 per game and assign for 100 schools. If those schools all have 10 home games a season, the money adds up quickly to the tune of several thousand dollars in revenue for the assignor.