The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

coaches uniforms

Now that spring is actually here and there's no need for jackets, I am having some coaches want to be on the field with MLB, NFL, etc. t shirts on instead of some type of school uniform. For example we have a team who's school colors are predominantly orange, and they want to wear Orioles gear. Fed 3-5-3 states "school uniform". I don't expect each coach to match but I do think they need to have something with the school name on it (or something neutral, "khaki, black, white or grey".

What's it like in your hometown? If a team's colors were green and black, would you let them wear an Eagles shirt? Etc., etc.?
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
Now that spring is actually here and there's no need for jackets, I am having some coaches want to be on the field with MLB, NFL, etc. t shirts on instead of some type of school uniform. For example we have a team who's school colors are predominantly orange, and they want to wear Orioles gear. Fed 3-5-3 states "school uniform". I don't expect each coach to match but I do think they need to have something with the school name on it (or something neutral, "khaki, black, white or grey".

What's it like in your hometown? If a team's colors were green and black, would you let them wear an Eagles shirt? Etc., etc.?
I expect them to follow the rule, although each coach different is ok, as long as the required colors are not ignored. I don't expect all coaches to have team names, but no, not other names. Certainly not club names if the players are not allowed them.

Of course, what can we do w/o OOO? All we can do is tell them they are not observing the rules, but they usually won't have an alternate.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Georgia (GHSA) will not allow a jersey with a team name, mascot, or emblem that isn't the school's. And they must match in color, although not required to be identical. Simple fix, just like a player that doesn't have a uniform or wish to remove jewelry; if you don't comply with the rule, you cannot step on the field (except to tend to an injured player or break up a fight). If you do, it is an ejection (and a two game sit-out plus administrative fine); if there isn't another school-employed educator available (community coach cannot be the head coach here), it is a forfeit, too.

And, we get in trouble if we DON'T enforce it, so if they have nothing else to wear, their options are 1) stay in the dugout after the plate meeting, or 2) wear cold weather gear even though it isn't cold.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have not seen this. One thing the long winter and slow start to the season provided was time for teams to get "Team Shirts" made for the coaches and players. The only shirts I have seen worn this season have been team gear with at least the school name or logo on them.

The one issue I had, and I did not follow the rules on it, was an assistant coach, at a JV game wearing jeans. The rule does say the coach should be restricted to the dugout for not being properly attired, however this is another instance where I understand the rule, and will not enforce it at a sub-varsity level the same as I would at the varsity level.

I did talk to the coach about it, and she was unaware of the rule stating that jeans are not allowed attire for coaches.

As officials were are supposed to enforce the rules, but at the same time we are educators also, and there needs to be a balance between the two. (Especially since it was a coach for a team that lost 43-0 in two games of a DH).
Old Tue Apr 22, 2014, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have never seen anything like this. Seems odd to me. But, as far as a ruling goes, they must comply with the NFHS rule regarding coaches' gear.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2014, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why not have your association president address it with the school's athletic director?
Old Tue Apr 22, 2014, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I have never seen anything like this. Seems odd to me. But, as far as a ruling goes, they must comply with the NFHS rule regarding coaches' gear.
If you local HS association supports the NFHS rule.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2014, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I am indeed the head of my local association and I'm happy to say that after talking with the county AD that he agrees with my position. I don't know why but this seems to be something that many neighboring associations didn't seem to care much about when I asked around. I want our group to all be on the same page. And I don't really see what the problem is. I go to work everyday with a dress shirt, dress pants and tie. When I get to the field I miraculously have my umpire uniform on. Is it so hard for a coach to find the right shirt to wear?