The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 13, 2010, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

On deck batters

First off, I would like to say that I'm new to this board. Second, I'm a coach first (I know, I know) and an umpire when time allows in our local rec league. I love to do both and am a student of the game and a rules junkie.

I was at an ASA tournament this weekend with my team. We were on the 1st base side and I sent my on-deck batter over to the 3rd base side, because the last time that the current batter and pitcher faced off, balls were flying to the 1st base side. We were on 3rd that time. Anyway, the umpire tells me that the on-deck batter is not allowed to go over to the other side.

Is there any such rule? The TD tells me it's for insurance reasons and that Bollinger (there's that name again) will not let that happen. Anyone know anything of this?

Thanks,

Paul
Old Sun Jun 13, 2010, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
First off, I would like to say that I'm new to this board. Second, I'm a coach first (I know, I know) and an umpire when time allows in our local rec league. I love to do both and am a student of the game and a rules junkie.

I was at an ASA tournament this weekend with my team. We were on the 1st base side and I sent my on-deck batter over to the 3rd base side, because the last time that the current batter and pitcher faced off, balls were flying to the 1st base side. We were on 3rd that time. Anyway, the umpire tells me that the on-deck batter is not allowed to go over to the other side.

Is there any such rule? The TD tells me it's for insurance reasons and that Bollinger (there's that name again) will not let that happen. Anyone know anything of this?

Thanks,

Paul
It is a fact and if you are an umpire, you only needed to read the definitions of "on deck circle" in Rule 1.

The TD is blowing smoke up whatever. Bollinger has nothing to do with this rule.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sun Jun 13, 2010 at 07:09pm.
Old Sun Jun 13, 2010, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I got it under definitions and under Rule-7, Section 1.

Is there a reason why they implemented this rule? Lawyers?
Old Sun Jun 13, 2010, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It was never a rule until someone tried it. You have to remember, these rules are for everyone, JO FP to Senior SP.

Ever have a game involving two teams that JUST DIDN'T GET ALONG?
Would you really want to put a player in the line of fire away from his/her own dugout? And you can make all the rules you want about no blocking the other coach's view of this or that, but to be honest, as an umpire I've got more important things to worry about than playing babysitter.
Old Sun Jun 13, 2010, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Hmmm. In Canada the on-deck batter can use either circle. I guess we play nicer up here.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Overhere we used to be easy as well in this matter. However since our batters have been sent back to their own circle in ESF and ISF tournaments, we (the ump's) are more strickt in enforcing this rule.

Whenever a lady is at bat, the on deck is in the circle and a pitcher change is coming, I sent the on deck batter back into the dug-out and the batter into the circle. The pitcher can now have the 5 warm-up pitches without an opponent watching her close-by...

Early May I had a game in Amsterdam, the home team sent two sub.'s behind the backstop, while they're at bat. These young ladies we're directed back into the dug-out aswell. If they want to spy on the pitchers, they can visit a game where they're not involved. And they will figure out my zone when they're at bat...The players are in the dug-out when they must be there, can only come out when suposed to be on the field!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You know, the more I think about this and every other chicken$hit rule that comes down the pike, I guess you have to think the lawyers are involved.

How many years did we survive without the lawyers and idiot judges who do not have the courage to make a decision?

According to Chicken Little, Inc. anyone who grew up in the 50s & 60s should have been killed by one of society's invisible villians or another.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...balls were flying to the 1st base side.
"Dixe Youth" rules are popluar around here and specifically state the on deck circle behind the batter must be used. So, at my "standard NFHS pregame", I tell the coaches that the batter must use the on-deck circle in front of their dugout.

Since I look at on-deck circles like coach's boxes I then let them know that if their batters feel the on-deck circle is too close, they can move further down the line on on their own side.

I've never seen a single person move further down.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You know, the more I think about this and every other chicken$hit rule that comes down the pike, I guess you have to think the lawyers are involved.

How many years did we survive without the lawyers and idiot judges who do not have the courage to make a decision?

According to Chicken Little, Inc. anyone who grew up in the 50s & 60s should have been killed by one of society's invisible villians or another.
I miss Jarts.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 07:53am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I miss Jarts.

You are one sick sum o beech. My kind of umpire.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I miss Jarts.
No kidding what a game, take a 2-3# metal object place a sharp end on it and then add a plastic piece that shifts back and forth to throw off any chance of accuracy then give it to kids and have them throw them at each other.....what could ever go wrong there???
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
No kidding what a game, take a 2-3# metal object place a sharp end on it and then add a plastic piece that shifts back and forth to throw off any chance of accuracy then give it to kids and have them throw them at each other.....what could ever go wrong there???
Nothing ever did when my buddy and I played with 'em.

Toys are too damn safe these days, all for the sake of saving a few thousand lives.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 09:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I miss Jarts.
Me too. I played Jarts all the time growing up and never took one in the head (and I wasn't the most attentive kid). The end wasn't sharp either, but I could see it getting inside the skull of a young 'un.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

I hate that Dixie rule. We have a local ASA league that has implemented that rule as well. There's NO safety advantage, and you have to constantly hold up play to let players run around to the "wrong" side. Dumb dumb dumb.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Me too. I played Jarts all the time growing up and never took one in the head (and I wasn't the most attentive kid). The end wasn't sharp either, but I could see it getting inside the skull of a young 'un.
What the hell is a young 'un doing where they are playing Jarts? Where are the parents? GMAFB! This is the type of thinking that put Chicken Little in charge.

When I was growing up, if I was someplace I didn't belong, even if I got hurt, I was punished. $HIT HAPPENS!

There is always the option for parents to teach your kids to behave and do not be afraid to take corrective action when necessary.