The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Why does "remotely approaching competitive play" matter?
Because I will do things differently based on the level of play. My most recent example is 8U rec league: I might pull a bat out of the way there if I see it in time and it looks like there will be a problem.

12U travel teams, probably not.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Because I will do things differently based on the level of play. My most recent example is 8U rec league: I might pull a bat out of the way there if I see it in time and it looks like there will be a problem.

12U travel teams, probably not.
I guess I don't deal well with treating some players different than others.
It's too much like enforcing the jewelry rule for varsity; but ignoring it for JV.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 10:51am
Administrator

Quote:
I guess I don't deal well with treating some players different than others.
It's too much like enforcing the jewelry rule for varsity; but ignoring it for JV.

CecilOne:

Why would you ignore it for a JV game?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
CecilOne:

Why would you ignore it for a JV game?

MTD, Sr.
Do you really think I was saying I would do that?

I have seen less attention to jewelry, equipment, etc. by some umpires at lower levels; as if anything below varsity is beneath them/
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Bat across the baseline

Today, during a JV game I was umpiring, we had the following situation occur.

Runners at 1st and second. Base hit to RF, the bat lands crossing the 3rd base line about 3 feet from home plate. Runner from second scores easily, but steps over the bat in doing so. The ODP is on the well away from the plate and makes no attempt to remove the bat. The runner from first tries going to third. Throw comes in and gets by F5. The runner bolts for home. Throw comes in towards the plate (high and to the first base side about 5 feet). Runner slides across the top of the bat safely into home plate.

My first concern when she slide wasn't safe or out, it was healthy or injured, then safe or out. Luckily she sprang up grabbed the bat and went to the dug out.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 08:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

I don't work softball. The phrase posted above by EsqUmp is the baseball way. Plate umpire moves the bat if it's necessary, available, and possible.

I've also moved a mask or helmet or two in my years. Worrying about damaging such a thing is laughable, IMO. I've seen catchers intentionally lay the helmet in the baseline to obstruct a runner -- I'm either kicking it aside or if I have time picking it up and moving it.

Different strokes. Guess it's good I know this before coaching my daughter's team this summer. (Actually I'll be happy if they don't throw the bat and hit someone with it -- they're 7-9 years old.)
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't work softball. The phrase posted above by EsqUmp is the baseball way. Plate umpire moves the bat if it's necessary, available, and possible.

I've also moved a mask or helmet or two in my years. Worrying about damaging such a thing is laughable,
So is being arrested or sued for protecting your family and home from an intruder, but it happens way more often than it should.

Quote:
IMO. I've seen catchers intentionally lay the helmet in the baseline to obstruct a runner -- I'm either kicking it aside or if I have time picking it up and moving it.
And as a catcher, I used to clear the bat with my foot, I just happen to become proficient in placing it up the line. To me, that is part of the game. Remember, the batter isn't required to leave or place the bat any where at any time. The location of the bat is at the sole discretion of the batter. Unless it is coming at my head, I really don't care where it goes, it does not involve my part of the game.

Quote:
Different strokes. Guess it's good I know this before coaching my daughter's team this summer. (Actually I'll be happy if they don't throw the bat and hit someone with it -- they're 7-9 years old.)
You also need to take into consideration that because a softball field is more confined than that of baseball, the action is a bit quicker and IMO requires a higher level of attention.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 09:25am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Do you really think I was saying I would do that?

I have seen less attention to jewelry, equipment, etc. by some umpires at lower levels; as if anything below varsity is beneath them/
In our neck, it's more likely than not that those umpires aren't even aware of the rules regarding jewelry and equipment.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Fair question.

I've never seen (while umpiring or observing umpires):
A) A thrown ball hit a discarded bat.
B) A runner or fielder trip over a discarded bat.
C) A play affected in any way, positive or negative, by a discarded bat (other than, of course, the batted ball hitting a bat or a discarded bat hitting a batted ball ... which is surely outside the scope of what we're talking about here)
a) I have never seen a thrown ball hit a discarded bat.
b) I have not seen a player trip over a discarded bat, HOWEVER, twice this season (in 2 games behind the plate) I have seen a runner slide over the top of a bat which was discarded on the baseline just outside the batters box.
c) I have seen discarded bats that have been tossed back and hit the catcher or umpire, but to my knowledge they have not actually impact the play.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 08:03pm
Administrator

I am shocked, I tell you, just shocked!!!

I just watched the PU on the Oakland-Texas game kick the bat away as an Oakland player was coming into score, !

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just watched the PU on the Oakland-Texas game kick the bat away as an Oakland player was coming into score, !

MTD, Sr.
How shocked would you have been if the bat became involved in the play after the umpire moved it?
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 10:39pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
How shocked would you have been if the bat became involved in the play after the umpire moved it?

I was being sarcastic because I do not believe that umpires should move the bat in either baseball or fast pitch softball.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'd go out and buy a lottery ticket right after the game.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was being sarcastic because I do not believe that umpires should move the bat in either baseball or fast pitch softball.

MTD, Sr.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 08:25am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Happens all the time in the pros. I was watching the Nats play the Padres on TV over the weekend, and I saw the PU on two occasions pick up the bat and hold onto it as runners came in to score.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker