The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 03:04pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
I have been following everything said since I first posted the question. Haven't said much (yes, I am a lurker, but I've surmised a couple of things. One is that there isn't a definitive, clear answer to this question. And two is that there should be. This is obviously a poorly worded group of rules that seems to want to do the right thing but can't get out of it's own way. I wish (and it's just a wish) that the Fed had a "hotline" if you will to clarify things like this. I believe NCAA had "Ask Dee" a few years back. I've found, like some have said, that the state guy doesn't always know what their talking about. They're just giving personal opinions that aren't necessarily any more learned than mine.
At the end of the day, it is highly unlikely that a pitcher is going to deliver a pitch illegally (leap, crowhop, violation of the 24, etc.) after the batter steps out of the box. The two scenarios in the book--a legally delivered pitch or an aborted motion--are the expected outcomes. So it probably doesn't make much difference that the book doesn't cover it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

it is likely that the pitcher if she is unable to stop her motion, will slip off an errant pitch into the dirt, and if it is a D3K, the runner can earn getting on base.

that's fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
At the end of the day, it is highly unlikely that a pitcher is going to deliver a pitch illegally (leap, crowhop, violation of the 24, etc.) after the batter steps out of the box. The two scenarios in the book--a legally delivered pitch or an aborted motion--are the expected outcomes. So it probably doesn't make much difference that the book doesn't cover it.