The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 06:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
I have been informed that someone who currently works HS sports locally is a sex offender but is being protected by others. This is a real sore spot growing up I knew of at least one kid molested by someone who was involved with youth sports.
CO just added a requirement to provide an arrest report every three years, and account for the disposition of all arrests that show on the report. I still doubt it will do any good.

The kid you knew, was he molested by a sports official in a way aided by that officials duties as an official?

I've never been left alone with a kid in a school, nor should I be. I don't understand what dangerous contact is currently going on that would be eliminated by background checks.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Manny A;922289]
(snip) Heck, you spent half that much for a cup that doesn't protect you.

(snip)QUOTE]

Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

It is a waste of time, waste of money, it is unnecessary, provides absolutely NOTHING, but a false sense of accomplishment.

And it is an invasion of privacy. A couple years ago, I almost walked out of a Regional Clinic because ASA's president-elect at the time basically accused anyone who had a problem with a BI as having something to hide. If it wouldn't have screwed over my fellow clinicians, I would have been gone.

I am tired of the cowardly fashion in which the people of this country act and I will not forfeit what freedom I have left simply to satisfy some Gestapo-style sense of "community".

BTW, I've had everyone up my tail, FBI, NIS(NCIS to the younger folks), DOD, DIS & state police and that doesn't include anyone involving my present job. So, to me, it is the mere stupidity of the people involved and the unnecessary invasion of my life by people who are no more qualified to determine my character than they are to turn water into wine with a wave of the hand.

And, just for the record, I had this exact discussion with Phil G. Like everything else with the ASA hierarchy, they don't handle any type of dissent very well.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 11:42pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post

Invades privacy, gives personal info to unnecessary irresponsible people, is not reliable or universal,
ALLOWS ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY FOR IDENTIFY THEFT.
ll the information need for Identity Fraud is already given to all the organizations. so that goes out the window. We fill out how many 1099 forms every year? plus my credit is so bad that no one would want it.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Cbc

In Texas, one-third of the officials that belong to Texas Association of Sports Officials have a criminal background check performed every year. TASO is the organization that assigns officials for softball, baseball, football, volleyball, soccer, and basketball high school sports. All members are checked at least once every three years. Some school districts perform their CBCs.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Maryland does not require background checks for high school officials.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post

ALLOWS ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY FOR IDENTIFY THEFT.
I worry more about the information left in dugouts and on the desks of some school office workers.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I worry more about the information left in dugouts and on the desks of some school office workers.
Technically here in NY, lineup cards are supposed to have the first and last names of the players on them. I have NEVER enforced this. What if someone get a hold of that, and starts looking up names on social media?? The theoretical reason behind this is so, in case a kid gets hurt, we can fill out our liability report. Well, I do not know about you, since I have 48 hours to fill this out, I personally am calling the AD's office the next and finding out.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Technically here in NY, lineup cards are supposed to have the first and last names of the players on them. I have NEVER enforced this. What if someone get a hold of that, and starts looking up names on social media?? The theoretical reason behind this is so, in case a kid gets hurt, we can fill out our liability report. Well, I do not know about you, since I have 48 hours to fill this out, I personally am calling the AD's office the next and finding out.
Virtually every rule book requires first and last names. This isn't something unique to NY. NY just so happens to use ASA rules that require this. The "theoretical reason" behind it was never contemplated by ASA and has nothing at all to do with the rule.

Remember, every time who choose to not enforce a rule, particularly one as simple as this, you run the risk of causing problems for the future umpires who work games for the same team. Don't be the "previous umpire said it was okay."

Yours is not to choose which rules to enforce.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Oh, and in NYS, new sports officials have to submit fingerprints, and a form. We got lucky, as they grandfathered all existing officials. And it does cover you all though the state for all sports.

But it still makes it even more difficult to find new umpires. Our clinic fee is $75...membership 1st year $75, then they have to pay in MAY for the next year another $75, PLUS all the gear, and now ANOTHER $60-75 for fingerprinting. No wonder we can't get people to start umpiring.

And just FYI, the starting level school fee around here is $68 this year, so someone has to work about 10 games the first year - just to break even!
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
But it still makes it even more difficult to find new umpires. Our clinic fee is $75...membership 1st year $75, then they have to pay in MAY for the next year another $75, PLUS all the gear, and now ANOTHER $60-75 for fingerprinting. No wonder we can't get people to start umpiring.
You charge for clinics ????

We allow new umps to work for the first association dues, except the required registrations like ASA & NFHS.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe some of our Texas friends can shed some light on this, but there was a story a couple years ago where a couple of law enforcement officers that refused to register because the local association refused to accept the BI routinely done for their job.

Not sure of the validity, just remember the story from an ASA meeting a couple years ago.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Maybe some of our Texas friends can shed some light on this, but there was a story a couple years ago where a couple of law enforcement officers that refused to register because the local association refused to accept the BI routinely done for their job.
Don't remember that story so I can't confirm or deny. The state organization does the background check as a part of regular state dues.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, and in NYS, new sports officials have to submit fingerprints, and a form. We got lucky, as they grandfathered all existing officials. And it does cover you all though the state for all sports.

And just FYI, the starting level school fee around here is $68 this year, so someone has to work about 10 games the first year - just to break even!
I'm taking that class this year, as I started working In Port.

I am required to work one full year of Jr Hi and another full year of JV before I am considered ready for varsity.

I have already worked Army, Marist and Iona with board members!

Plus, I worked in a daycare two years ago and the clearances were $35 & $20 in Pa.

Last edited by PATRICK; Fri Feb 14, 2014 at 02:46pm.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 02:51pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I think you're going a little extreme here.

High school players have their names publicized all over the place. They get announced during pregame, when they come to bat, when they enter the game as a sub, etc. They get mentioned in newspaper accounts of games, sometimes with pictures of them. Many many high schools have websites for school sports with team rosters and pictures. Some schools even stream their games live on the web for family members to watch from anywhere on the globe, and players names are announced there.

If someone with ill intent really wanted to get the first and last name of a softball player, I seriously doubt they would go looking for a team lineup card.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker