The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   backgrounds checks in all states? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97240-backgrounds-checks-all-states.html)

SWFLguy Mon Feb 10, 2014 08:00pm

backgrounds checks in all states?

I'm curious. Are there any states that do not require background checks for high school sport's officials? We still do in Florida and I believe also back in New York. Anyone know or have a link to information?
Thanks in advance.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy (Post 922231)
I'm curious. Are there any states that do not require background checks for high school sport's officials? We still do in Florida and I believe also back in New York. Anyone know or have a link to information?
Thanks in advance.

Not in Ohio and Michigan.

MTD, Sr.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:45pm

Not in DE

Insane Blue Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:56pm

Not California. I am trying to get in touch with State lawmakers to see how to get it on the books.

AtlUmpSteve Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:28am

Not in Georgia, either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 922252)
Not California. I am trying to get in touch with State lawmakers to see how to get it on the books.

Just wondering why? In my opinion, it is a knee-jerk feel-good response typical of bureaucrats and politicians that will only weed out those too stupid to avoid being caught. The truly most dangerous predators are those that haven't been caught, and a background check won't help detect them.

Insane Blue Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 922259)
Not in Georgia, either.

Just wondering why? In my opinion, it is a knee-jerk feel-good response typical of bureaucrats and politicians that will only weed out those too stupid to avoid being caught. The truly most dangerous predators are those that haven't been caught, and a background check won't help detect them.

I have been informed that someone who currently works HS sports locally is a sex offender but is being protected by others. This is a real sore spot growing up I knew of at least one kid molested by someone who was involved with youth sports.
Additionally most of our local units have paper work asking if you have any Felonies and a lot of people lie about it. As coaches we have to due background checks and it is very quick and the cost is low to do it.

shagpal Tue Feb 11, 2014 02:04am

megan's law is your friend if you know the residence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 922260)
I have been informed that someone who currently works HS sports locally is a sex offender but is being protected by others. This is a real sore spot growing up I knew of at least one kid molested by someone who was involved with youth sports.
Additionally most of our local units have paper work asking if you have any Felonies and a lot of people lie about it. As coaches we have to due background checks and it is very quick and the cost is low to do it.

HugoTafurst Tue Feb 11, 2014 08:49am

Quote:

Low is relative term.
We get 45 bucks for a varsity game.
Background check is 75 and then if you pass, another 10 for an ID badge which you should display on school grounds...

I really have no problem with the check, just not excited about the almost 2 game cost.

Manny A Tue Feb 11, 2014 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 922283)
I really have no problem with the check, just not excited about the almost 2 game cost.

C'mon Hugo, what's two games in the grand scheme? I'm sure you can make that up in less than a week of the season. Heck, you spent half that much for a cup that doesn't protect you. :p

What kind of background check is required in FL that costs $75? It sounds like it involves a lot more than just crimes against children.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 922289)
C'mon Hugo, what's two games in the grand scheme? I'm sure you can make that up in less than a week of the season. Heck, you spent half that much for a cup that doesn't protect you. :p

What kind of background check is required in FL that costs $75? It sounds like it involves a lot more than just crimes against children.

Manny:

Hugo is correct in the cost. In fact, I just checked with the Seminole County School District in November because I was thinking of spending the month of March at my sister's home in Orlando and umpire H.S. baseball and fast pitch softball; I was told that the cost was now $78 and $15. One as to go to the administrative office of any county school district to be finger printed and pay the $78. Once one passes the background check the ID badge can be picked up at the same office after paying the $15 fee.

MTD, Sr.

Andy Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43am

Quote:

... As coaches we have to due background checks and it is very quick and the cost is low to do it.

As it should be...coaches are spending unsupervised time with youth players at practice and team events and have opportunity to cultivate inappropriate relationships.

A sports official is only interacting with these kids on the field of play with several other people watching. The "opportunity" as a result of the event itself is extremely limited.

In my neighborhood, we are required to submit to a fingerprint clearance check, the same thing that teachers undergo. It costs approx $60 just to have the fingerprinting done, then and additional $15-20 for the check. This is in addition to some of the highest registration and lowest game fees in the country.

All this as a knee-jerk reaction to a person that was arrested for sexual misconduct with two minor females that had NOTHING to do with the fact that he was a HS softball umpire.

Insane Blue Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 922263)
megan's law is your friend if you know the residence.

I know megans law very well.
Our local HS associations covers 2 counties. we have over 300 members in basketball and football, 125 members in Baseball, 150 Members in Softball and so on.
Megans law shows 2686 registered sex offenders in my county and 3411 in the other county. I will say that their are a combined 4.5 Million people in these 2 counties

shagpal Tue Feb 11, 2014 01:39pm

the offenders are listed by address, so are all members of your officials.

if you know where one lives that you suspect, check it against megans law database.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 922315)
I know megans law very well.
Our local HS associations covers 2 counties. we have over 300 members in basketball and football, 125 members in Baseball, 150 Members in Softball and so on.
Megans law shows 2686 registered sex offenders in my county and 3411 in the other county. I will say that their are a combined 4.5 Million people in these 2 counties

MD Longhorn Tue Feb 11, 2014 05:02pm

I agree with the requirement of having background checks for officials.

However, I STRONGLY disagree with making the officials pay for it - this should be handled by leagues and school districts as a cost of doing business.

CecilOne Tue Feb 11, 2014 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 922364)
I agree with the requirement of having background checks for officials.

:eek:
Invades privacy, gives personal info to unnecessary irresponsible people, is not reliable or universal,
ALLOWS ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY FOR IDENTIFY THEFT. :eek: :( :(