The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

how does one interject from a previous game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATRICK View Post
You are misinterpreting him.

When he said "the other guy", he means someone who gave the coach bad information in a previous game.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
how does one interject from a previous game?
Again, learn how to read in order of presentation. Patrick is correct.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATRICK View Post

When he said "the other guy", he means someone who gave the coach bad information in a previous game.
This is what I understood Irish's words to mean, i.e., "the umpire the other day said ... ". A protest will disabuse the coach of the incorrect interpretation.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

How can the other guy "interject" in a prior game about a call in the present game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
This is what I understood Irish's words to mean, i.e., "the umpire the other day said ... ". A protest will disabuse the coach of the incorrect interpretation.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
How can the other guy "interject" in a prior game about a call in the present game?
Please stop being myopic about this.

Haven't you ever had a coach tell you a wrong rule that affects your current game, because the coach heard it in a prior game?
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

what does this have to do with throwing a partner under the bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Please stop being myopic about this.

Haven't you ever had a coach tell you a wrong rule that affects your current game, because the coach heard it in a prior game?
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You mean the PU shouldn't be running out to the BU telling him he screwed up?

I couldn't agree more with Steve here. (1) How many times over the years have we discussed Ol' Smitty or "the guy last night" which "sold" and inaccurate rule interpretation? How many times have we had folks on this and other boards openly state that the next time another umpire jumps in on a call/ruling uninvited, it would be the last time that person would work with them?

(2) How many of us have had an opinion differing from that of the umpire who made the call and interjected themselves (Tom, that's for you) into the play uninvited? How many have found a way to get ones partner's attention in an effort to have a discussion prior to a final ruling? If they do, fine. If they don't, we will discuss it later.

Even when teaching a rookie umpire, I will let them make the call. I will also pre-game with them that if they see me pointing to myself and they are being questioned by the coach, I have input available. I do this as a matter of maintaining protocol on the field so teams don't see anything different than from a regular game. How many times have we been victims of what the "other guy" did in the game last night or last weekend's tournaments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Cite the same thing Steve has, 10.3.B (ASA) and ask the clinician to explain it.

(1) I have asked coaches to protest when they insisted I was wrong because the "other guy" ruled otherwise. (2) What are you going to do when the umpire interjecting him/herself is WRONG? Being wrong when discussing it after the game is one thing, on the field would be a disaster.
Let me try to explain what I believe Shagpal is just not getting; not getting to the point that everyone else is getting aggravated. Pretty clear he (Shagpal) wants to push any ASA button he can, and Mike is clearly ASA, but if it is just not reading past what he thinks he sees, I'm giving it one last try.

I could be misunderstanding Mike, but I don't think so; I read two separate thoughts partially combined. I have inserted bold, underlined, and numbered the two thoughts I see.

(1) Talking about the coach being unhappy because this isn't what another umpire ruled another time at another game, and doesn't want to accept tonight's ruling. Mike suggests the protest on tonight's ruling to get back to playing softball; tonight. "Other guy" now means another game, not "the umpire interjecting".

(2) Talking about why a partner should NOT interject now in THIS game; how do you resolve when the unsolicited interjection is wrong?? This probably could or should have been in a different paragraph, but I don't believe Mike is suggesting he ever told a coach to protest because his partner and he disagreed on the current play.

Now, I could be wrong, and if so, respond accordingly. Discourse related to the game is why we are here.

But, and the bigger issue to many of us, I believe, is that we don't contribute to this board (or others) to watch members create endless posts picking at created differences because of one's preferred brand of softball, or even the perceived personality of the other member. Let's keep it about the game, please??

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 03:29pm.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

steve,

I think there are many ways to read Irish. I am reading him verbatim. I am NOT parsing or combining, nor interpreting, nor hashing, none of that garbage. its one paragraph, same continious thought. I am not onboard to what others are introducing into it.

most venues read Irish as a chip out to prove his merits on forums, which translates to him chipping himself on the field, and now admittedly at any cost. that sentiment is not just here, but those other social media outlets as well. its all in the threads. being an ASA rule guru has not translated into professionalism and crewism.

the bigger question is, why steer anyone, coach, parent, whomever to protest ANY umpire, on any field at any time, even as a challenge to thy self? what would Irish or any umpire gain other than vindication for own ego sake and at embarassment of coach, game and crew? and Irish just bragged about it here.

I simply don't like the ASAism and antics like what Irish and others would pull and what that represents. and why do the forum ASAlets and groupies here spin control for Irish as if he's their pimp? maybe, they are and he is.

my view is, the ASA is empty on crewness and professionalism unlike how it is imperative in NCAA. and, it reflects poorly. even our mod md longhorn missed that till you cited it. did it really require a citing?

I'll let you and company have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Let me try to explain what I believe Shagpal is just not getting; not getting to the point that everyone else is getting aggravated. Pretty clear he (Shagpal) wants to push any ASA button he can, and Mike is clearly ASA, but if it is just not reading past what he thinks he sees, I'm giving it one last try.

I could be misunderstanding Mike, but I don't think so; I read two separate thoughts partially combined. I have inserted bold, underlined, and numbered the two thoughts I see.

(1) Talking about the coach being unhappy because this isn't what another umpire ruled another time at another game, and doesn't want to accept tonight's ruling. Mike suggests the protest on tonight's ruling to get back to playing softball; tonight. "Other guy" now means another game, not "the umpire interjecting".

(2) Talking about why a partner should NOT interject now in THIS game; how do you resolve when the unsolicited interjection is wrong?? This probably could or should have been in a different paragraph, but I don't believe Mike is suggesting he ever told a coach to protest because his partner and he disagreed on the current play.

Now, I could be wrong, and if so, respond accordingly. Discourse related to the game is why we are here.

But, and the bigger issue to many of us, I believe, is that we don't contribute to this board (or others) to watch members create endless posts picking at created differences because of one's preferred brand of softball, or even the perceived personality of the other member. Let's keep it about the game, please??
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
steve,

I think there are many ways to read Irish. I am reading him verbatim. I am NOT parsing or combining, nor interpreting, nor hashing, none of that garbage. its one paragraph, same continious thought. I am not onboard to what others are introducing into it.

most venues read Irish as a chip out to prove his merits on forums, which translates to him chipping himself on the field, and now admittedly at any cost. that sentiment is not just here, but those other social media outlets as well. its all in the threads. being an ASA rule guru has not translated into professionalism and crewism.

the bigger question is, why steer anyone, coach, parent, whomever to protest ANY umpire, on any field at any time, even as a challenge to thy self? what would Irish or any umpire gain other than vindication for own ego sake and at embarassment of coach, game and crew? and Irish just bragged about it here.

I simply don't like the ASAism and antics like what Irish and others would pull and what that represents. and why do the forum ASAlets and groupies here spin control for Irish as if he's their pimp? maybe, they are and he is.

my view is, the ASA is empty on crewness and professionalism unlike how it is imperative in NCAA. and, it reflects poorly. even our mod md longhorn missed that till you cited it. did it really require a citing?

I'll let you and company have that.
Whatever
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

This thread is no longer serving any purpose.

West Houston Mike
Closed Thread